Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ext Gantt - A Gantt Charting Component

Sencha Premium User

Default Ext Gantt - A Gantt Charting Component

Ext Gantt - A highly interactive Gantt chart component. Click image to try a live example.

More information at http://www.bryntum.com/gantt

Drool, drool, drool... when can I get my hands on that!

Ext JS Premium Member

Yup, I don't need it, but I definitely want to use it. This is the sort of stuff that sets ExtJS apart from everything else.

Sencha Premium User

@alindsay55661: 1-2 weeks should be enough, will update this thread with information.

@joeri: I'll make sure there's a dev kit in your inbox when it's ready

I'm also interested in this component. Do you have any rough estimates on license costs?

Sencha Premium User

Not yet I'm afraid, still implementing features. But send me an email at [email protected] and I'll keep you updated!

Cheers

Mats

Manx thats awesome, great job man.

One thing I've always looked for in Gantt charts thats worth suggesting here (thought it might be too hard to implement) is to include the ability to specify available time for a project. Perhaps by using this Gantt chart in combination with your scheduler something could be made to work?

I.e. I might line up 10 tasks, each an hour long, which in a normal Gantt chart would line up over a continuous 10 hour period. But then it would be great (amazing) to be able to say, "woah there, I only have 2 hours available on tuesday for this project, but 3 on wednesday and then all weekend" (for example) and see the tasks in the Gantt chart spread out only over those time slots (even if it means breaking them into two so as best to fit the available time).

Sencha Premium User

@ultramedia: Thanks for your kind words. Could you share an example of how you would like your ideal gantt visualized in the scenario you described? To make sure we're on the same page

Hey Mankz,

Sure, this should do it (roughly) :

The main guts of the idea is that you can estimate out what tasks will be required, and roughly how long they *might* take individually, then use this to see how they fit into the time available that you have to work on it... (note also that the work breakdown is hierarchical)

Ext JS Premium Member

We have a planning module that's used for scheduling of large teams. It enforces a per-person no-overlaps rule, and automatically splits tasks across periods of non-working time. It does not support cross-person dependencies though (project A follows project B, so if project B runs later because person X has some sick days, then project A needs to move up, even though it is assigned to person Y), so there is no gantt view.

So, I think you need some sort of mechanism to combine "per project working time", "per person working time" and "project dependencies".

I could tell you about all the different rules and exceptions that apply to available time schedules, but I think you already know these.

It doesn't seem like it's possible to separate gantt from scheduler. They're just two views on exactly the same data and rules set.
    - gantt = per-task view of which people are scheduled to do that task at what time
    - schedule = per-person view of which tasks they have scheduled when

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast