Thread: why the community help extjs or gxt and need pay for one release?

Default why the community help extjs or gxt and need pay for one release?

why the community help extjs or gxt reporting bugs or other way and need pay for one release or access to svn?

all peoples that create test case, or create custom components "not receive anything in return".. while the extjs have a better product..

what you think about this?

Ext JS Premium Member

You get your fixes, just after three months instead of one month.

You know what annoys me more? I'm a paying customer, so I can download 3.0.1, but I can't use it because I want to keep using the CDN, and 3.0.1 isn't on the CDN. I'm ok with a for-pay model, where the free users are forever second-class citizens, because ExtJS is a great product and worth paying for. But if I'm paying, I want full service, not service handicapped to make sure the free users couldn't get a benefit.

Edit: After this post I was given the URL for 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 on CDN via PM, so I'm a happy camper now.
    Last edited by joeri; 21 Sep 2009 at 4:45 AM. Reason: Available on CDN

I suspect that ExtJS would make far more money from a "PayPal donations" scheme but it is not my business to run.

A fundamental attribute of any JavaScript product is that the full, unadulterated copy of the software in source-code form must be running on the machine of "everybody's grandmother." You won't get anywhere by "selling" access to "the bug-free code(?)."

But will developers perceive the value of what you are doing and "chip in a few bucks?" Yeah, from around the planet, by the tens of thousands. Try it, dear management, before you dismiss it as "unworkable." I am offering this to you as a serious business recommendation.

I don't think Ext LLC is hurting for money, and they wouldn't be the professional company they are now if their revenue model relied on donations from users.

Ext JS Premium Member

@Mike Robinson: and which project actually succeeds with such a model?

JQuery is bankrolled by mozilla, YUI by yahoo, Dojo by sitepen (who sell services), GWT by google. ExtJS is bankrolled by Ext LLC. They have to earn the money with the library itself, and I don't believe donations would make up the difference.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    @Mike Robinson: and which project actually succeeds with such a model?

JQuery is bankrolled by mozilla, YUI by yahoo, Dojo by sitepen (who sell services), GWT by google. ExtJS is bankrolled by Ext LLC. They have to earn the money with the library itself, and I don't believe donations would make up the difference.
    May be from the services they sell, like training, help, Emergency hot-fix builds, support, etc.
    Like Dojo (as you said...)

Ext JS Premium Member

And I expect in time they'll move towards a services model, but I don't think _right now_ they could survive off a services model and deliver as many library features as they are.

Sencha User jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Robinson View Post
    I suspect that ExtJS would make far more money from a "PayPal donations" scheme but it is not my business to run.

A fundamental attribute of any JavaScript product is that the full, unadulterated copy of the software in source-code form must be running on the machine of "everybody's grandmother." You won't get anywhere by "selling" access to "the bug-free code(?)."

But will developers perceive the value of what you are doing and "chip in a few bucks?" Yeah, from around the planet, by the tens of thousands. Try it, dear management, before you dismiss it as "unworkable." I am offering this to you as a serious business recommendation.
    Ext JS has been in business since 07 and has enjoyed explosive growth. You're relatively new to the scene, and I imagine you don't know the history, etc. They have a great strategy in place and will continue to endure success as long as they continue to break the envelope, which has been since before day one!

You are entitled to your opinion(s), and I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong here. But I feel compelled to let you know that your unfiltered (and sometimes unnecessary) comments have been turning people off. I highly suggest you consider re-reading your posts before splattering the first thing that comes to mind.

I think you'll find people ignoring you.