Thread: What is the highest supported version of chrome-driver

Sencha Premium Member

Default What is the highest supported version of chrome-driver

I've experimented a bit, but in my environment I can not use chromedriver higher than v 2.43. Can you confirm this, and if so, can we expect that this will be fixed, so we can use a recent version. Version 2.43 uses chrome v.70, which is of course 10 versions old.

Thanks

Sencha - Sales Team daniel.gallo's Avatar
    Answers

Sencha Test does work with newer ChromeDriver versions. ChromeDriver changed the versioning number format after 2.46, and instead released ChromeDriver version numbers that matched the equivalent Chrome version number, for example Chrome 81 requires ChromeDriver 81.

Sencha Test 2.3.0 (GA) included ChromeDrivers 74 through 77 for the Embedded Selenium Server, and the last nightly build of Sencha Test included ChromeDrivers 74 through 79.

If you need to use a specific version of ChromeDriver that isn't mentioned above then you can download the required ChromeDriver version from here, and setup your own Standalone Selenium Server per the documentation and use that instead of the Embedded Selenium Server.
    Daniel Gallo

Sencha Premium Member

tried this with node v7.10.1 and node v8.17.0

use chromedriver 79.0.3945.36 by running
    Code:
    selenium-standalone start --drivers.chrome.version=79.0.3945.36 --drivers.chrome.baseURL=https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com
    as is explained here

then the following error message
    Code:
    [ERROR] [model/browser/SandboxBrowser-10] [ERROR] [orion] Error: A new session could not be created.
        at url("http://my-url-to-test") - C:\Program Files\Sencha\Test\2_3_0_328\stc\node_modules\@sencha\orion-core\serve\context\WebDriver.js:148:10
        at timeouts("script", 10000) - C:\Program Files\Sencha\Test\2_3_0_328\stc\node_modules\@sencha\orion-core\serve\context\WebDriver.js:141:29
        at init() - C:\Program Files\Sencha\Test\2_3_0_328\stc\node_modules\@sencha\orion-core\serve\context\WebDriver.js:122:10
    however, when running
    Code:
    selenium-standalone start
    and effectively using the 2.43 chromedriver, everything is working nicely. I can not figure out what is going wrong here.

Sencha - Sales Team daniel.gallo's Avatar
    Answers

I normally just download the Selenium Server 3.9.1 .jar file directly, and run that manually to start the server, e.g.

Code:
    java -jar selenium-server-standalone-3.9.1.jar
    As long as the ChromeDriver executable is in the same folder as the .jar, it sees and uses it when Chrome is required.
    Daniel Gallo

Sencha Premium Member

did exactly as you described and get same error message

• Sencha Test v2.3.0.328
    • chromedriver 79.0.3945.36
    • selenium-server-standalone-3.141.59.jar

also for good measure used selenium-server-standalone-3.9.1.jar