Thread: Is Cypress the replacement for Sencha Test?

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Default Answered: Is Cypress the replacement for Sencha Test?

We've gotten a lot of good usage out of Sencha Test and I think it's an outstanding product for working with Ext applications.

I was a little disappointed to not see any presence at this year's Virtual SenchaCon and a little confused with the presentation You’ll Never Walk Alone - Testing Your Ext JS App.

At the end the presenter took a question and said something to the effect of "Cypress is a replacement for Sencha Test." I hope what he meant was "alternative" and development on Sencha Test is still ongoing? It works very well and I'd hate to see it discontinued.

2. Thanks for your question.

Cypress isn't a replacement for Sencha Test - rather it shows an alternative approach to testing an Ext JS application. Requirements and use cases can vary between projects and development/testing teams, so promoting other technologies demonstrates the various options that are out there, and how they work. Each solution has its own benefits and pitfalls.

I think one of the most powerful parts of Sencha Test are the many capabilities provided by its Future APIs, that allow you to very easily reference components via Component Query or Composite Query locators, without having to rely on adding custom DOM attributes or using DOM queries, or adding lots of manual waits/delays as the Future APIs handle a lot of the timing-related issues. The Future APIs also allow you to easily check the various states of an Ext JS component, and interact with the different aspects of a component, such as a grid with its rows and cells (via "rowAt", "rowWith", etc), which other testing tools don't necessarily have a direct awareness or understanding of the structure of these components.

I'm not so familiar with Cypress myself, but from what I understand it only supports Chrome-based browsers, with some support for Firefox. So if you are needing to test on other browsers, then this might not be a suitable choice.

Sencha - Sales Team daniel.gallo's Avatar
    Answers

Thanks for your question.

Cypress isn't a replacement for Sencha Test - rather it shows an alternative approach to testing an Ext JS application. Requirements and use cases can vary between projects and development/testing teams, so promoting other technologies demonstrates the various options that are out there, and how they work. Each solution has its own benefits and pitfalls.

I think one of the most powerful parts of Sencha Test are the many capabilities provided by its Future APIs, that allow you to very easily reference components via Component Query or Composite Query locators, without having to rely on adding custom DOM attributes or using DOM queries, or adding lots of manual waits/delays as the Future APIs handle a lot of the timing-related issues. The Future APIs also allow you to easily check the various states of an Ext JS component, and interact with the different aspects of a component, such as a grid with its rows and cells (via "rowAt", "rowWith", etc), which other testing tools don't necessarily have a direct awareness or understanding of the structure of these components.

I'm not so familiar with Cypress myself, but from what I understand it only supports Chrome-based browsers, with some support for Firefox. So if you are needing to test on other browsers, then this might not be a suitable choice.
    Daniel Gallo
    Sales Engineer
    Sencha

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I completely agree with your statements on the Futures API. I've tried to test with raw Jasmine and Selenium before. While perhaps doable, it's nowhere near as good experience as with Sencha Test. Other developers might have different use cases and that's fine, but if you're primarily using Ext I think you'd be crazy not to use it.