Thread: Questions about nightly builds

Sencha Premium User

Default Questions about nightly builds

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could tell us more about the nightly builds process -- is there any way to see what is being fixed or changed?

It's always challenging for us to strike the right balance on updating dependencies for our app - we do have to go through a round of regression testing when updating dependencies, especially something like the UI toolkit so we don't want to pull in every nightly build, but on the other hand if there are performance improvements or fixes that would benefit our users we don't want to miss out.

Is it possible perhaps to get read only access to the source control repo to see diffs?

Many thanks,

Alex

Sencha Sr Product Manager

The 4.0.4 nightly only has one fix in it yet. We haven't started doing the 4.0.4 defect fixes yet. That said it should start soon. We've been working on a few other proof of concepts. If you're looking at comparing what's in the 4.0.4 there isn't much in there yet. I can provide release note updates if you're looking at the readme. We're looking at providing a better look into this so I'll send a use case off to Management as well.

Which versions would you like to compare?

Does that help?

Sencha Premium User

Hi Brandon,
    Would be very helpful to have release notes / change list next to the nightly downloads in the support console. In the list for example, there's a nightly build for 4.0.3 dated June 13th -- would be useful to know what changes are included, or any at all.

We are also working with a (very) custom theme, and so having visiblity into changes would also be very helpful in keeping our theme in sync with upstream changes. For example, we are in the process of updating from 4.0.0 to 4.0.3. This was mostly seemless, but checkboxes did break because of this line in 4.0.3:
    @Override
    public XElement getFocusElement(XElement parent) {
    return parent.select("span").getItem(0).cast();
    }

This <span> element is actually the element that has the checkbox sprite as a background. We provide our own CheckboxAppearance implementation that uses an svg element for the checkbox element, so we have no <span> element. Additionally, we had been setting the focus on the label element rather than the checkbox. Ideally, this sort of thing should be delegated to the appearance implementation, but barring that it would be very helpful to see why this change had been made. Perhaps this method is not new at all and simply wasn't called in 4.0.0, or maybe there's some weird browser problem that requires setting the focus on the checkbox icon. It's not clear without looking at the change log.

In the end we just updated our checkbox html to include a <span> within the <label> element, so it's not a show stopper, but it would be very helpful to have detailed changesets.

Best,
    Alex

Sencha Sr Product Manager

Good point. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Great idea, I'll do that. I'll add the changes to our current release notes too.

This might help identify the appearance changes for the radio and checkbox.
    https://github.com/sencha/gxt-demo-p...dbd3ed7dda59d4

Which theme are you changes based on? Or if you check the base appearance you find the change. The radio and checkbox are the only appearances I remember at the moment that had an element added.

Does that help?