After years of discussing what sencha management has done wrong - its also time to stand up and show the projects where ExtJS played a role. Therefore I want to summarize what we in our company have done with ExtJS. So its time to make positive news (and the new single user license is a positive news),

* API based development *

3 years ago we made a decision, that we go the way via API programming. Its not REST, but uses of course the http-protocol to make the calls. As additional communication possiblities we use WebSockets and ZeroMQ.

* New Database *

We also decided to use an object-oriented database in those projects, where we are able to make this decision. No tables anymore and just transaction oriented programming within a database.

* Multiple Languages *

No language war any more - we wanted to support several languages: up to now we use ExtJS, Python, Java and are playing around with C# and even Unity3D.

* Modelling the system *

We wrote an own modelling tool. This tool generates server code for the database I mentioned above, client code for ExtJS, Python, Java, C#. We support the CRUD system of ExtJS - the only mayor point missing are hierarchical structures.

* Documentation part *

Well, the structure for all client languages are very similar - so we decided to go the C# sandcastle way together with Help&Manual documentation tool to produce documentation. But this is still an open, never ending work :-)

* ExtJS *

We used ExtJS for the UI of course. We found ExtJS - due to the heavy runtime, external CSS - not suitable for projects, where we had to work within other companies www-pages. But for all other stuff we used ExtJS.

In all projects we are building single-web-page applications with ExtJS. In one project we made also a prototype using Cordova (to show that it works), one project has been done together with Electron to build also fat-clients (to show that it works).

We build an UI for our new CATI system (persons calling you via telephone and wish you to interview you) with ExtJS, which is a very heavy UI.

Another project were our maintanance UIs for our election result presentation software (we are presenting election results in Germany for several public broadcasters over TV or internet). The public UIs for the internet presentations by the way were written in jQuery.

Another project is an end user application, where customers can visualize fact about houses in Germany based on Google Maps.

We use the Architect just for UI experiments - I would like to do much more with it, but it does not fit in our production street. In one of the examples above we have at least hundred ExtJS classes and architect does not scale - and the generation of Architect files are also not easy. what a pitty.

So we stay with plain ExtJS together with WebStorm.

After all I like ExtJS - even if the learning curve is very steep. But I also have to admit, that I'm more a desktop developer and I view ExtJS as my tool to write nice looking desktop applications - with the nice possiblity to write mobile apps also.

Additional information about the infrastructure:

https://schrievkrom.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/gemstones-application-example-hbbtv-playout-system/
https://schrievkrom.wordpress.com/20...ation-example/