Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ExtJS 7 release date

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    If this was a brand new app, honestly I wouldn’t use Ext JS. Too much drama, too much uncertainty, too much risk.
    To take the "Trump" factor out of the one-liner, could you explain where you think the drama is, and why you mention "too much risk". Is there something that we should know that you know?

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by jvandemerwe View Post
    To take the "Trump" factor out of the one-liner, could you explain where you think the drama is, and why you mention "too much risk". Is there something that we should know that you know?
    The question wasn't addressed to me, so I will not answer it. The "risk" IMO is that Sencha may not be able to deliver on their roadmap plans and instead will continue with minor point releases. I wish them good luck and I hope they will deliver.

There are always some risks. It wouldn't surprise me if a large company such as Amazon or Microsoft came up with another JavaScript framework which is easier to use than the current leaders (React or Angular). This would make other frameworks much less attractive.

Sencha User

To me, charging framework is stupid and bad market strategy (in which sencha did and fail).

create a good development studio for extjs where people no need to do alot coding .I will pay for such development tools even if it cost $3000 per user.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by kobolds View Post
    To me, charging framework is stupid and bad market strategy (in which sencha did and fail).

create a good development studio for extjs where people no need to do alot coding .I will pay for such development tools even if it cost $3000 per user.
    I was never fond of development studios that generate the code for me. I must say that if you know how Ext JS works and build a library of packages and plugins that you use all the time in your software, it is not hard to "code" with Ext JS. I don't mind that I am charged for a framework, I earn money with developing, so I don't mind paying for my tools. But I have a license of Sench Architect, but I never use it. I like to keep an eye on my code.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    The question wasn't addressed to me, so I will not answer it. The "risk" IMO is that Sencha may not be able to deliver on their roadmap plans and instead will continue with minor point releases. I wish them good luck and I hope they will deliver.

There are always some risks. It wouldn't surprise me if a large company such as Amazon or Microsoft came up with another JavaScript framework which is easier to use than the current leaders (React or Angular). This would make other frameworks much less attractive.
    I am not in the position to simply swap between frameworks that easily. I have customers that use our Ext JS applications for 5 years or longer. They have been upgraded to newer releases of Ext JS, but I can't sell the idea that I am moving to another framework. It would be too expensive.

And I must say that I am quite satisfied about version 6. What do you yourself expect in version 7 ?

Sencha User

What do you yourself expect in version 7 ?
    Fully baked modern toolkit. Right now classic toolkit is ok for desktop but not really well suited for mobile/responsive apps.
    Modern toolkit is buggy and missing essential features.
    Classic toolkit is too heavy for mobile (slow JS layouts and huge DOM to support IE and other old browsers), it's responsive config is lacking (ie, layout options can be changed but changing layout type crashes the app) and it could use some source, API and documentation clean-up. It's a huge, complicated, old framework with lackluster examples, documentation and pretty much no real community left.
    Also, Sencha CMD is a terrible tool and has to be replaced.

BTW, in case you haven't heard yet, a lot of core ExtJS developers were let go and replaced by some people who don't know what they are doing.
    Might be a good time to start learning a new modern framework.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    BTW, in case you haven't heard yet, a lot of core ExtJS developers were let go and replaced by some people who don't know what they are doing.
    This is the risk that you are now taking with Ext JS. The new team might need a lot of time to come up to speed, so you won't see a major release any time soon until they start hiring qualified developers.

See the Sencha roadmap plan. I'd like the plan work out, but my gut feeling is that interest in Sencha products will continue to decline.

Sencha Premium User

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    Fully baked modern toolkit. Right now classic toolkit is ok for desktop but not really well suited for mobile/responsive apps.
    Modern toolkit is buggy and missing essential features.
    Classic toolkit is too heavy for mobile (slow JS layouts and huge DOM to support IE and other old browsers), it's responsive config is lacking (ie, layout options can be changed but changing layout type crashes the app) and it could use some source, API and documentation clean-up. It's a huge, complicated, old framework with lackluster examples, documentation and pretty much no real community left.
    Also, Sencha CMD is a terrible tool and has to be replaced.

I hope you don't mind that I don't agree with you on all points. I don't think that Sencha CMD is a bad tool. I work with it every day and it is working quite good. What I don't like about it are those Java errors in case something goes wrong.

I don't think that Ext JS is very complicated. It takes time to learn, but once you got the hang of it, it is a great framework to work with. That it is "old" is not bad. Let's say they are beyond the hype stage. I have worked with IBM programming tools that were over 20 years old, but very stable and hardly no bugs. I wish that more internet things would grow to maturity without being withdrawn or dropped,

About new people at Sencha, I think it is quite harsh to say that "they don't know what they are doing". What inside information do you have that you can make this statement?

I am a Sencha Ext JS fan and you can build very stable and longlasting business software with it. That is something I can sell at my customers.

I have looked at React and Angular, but that is not even close to Ext JS. There are some others I have looked at too, but I like to stay with Ext JS for a few years. I have still confidence in Sencha.

Sencha Premium User

I have looked at React and Angular, but that is not even close to Ext JS. There are some others I have looked at too, but I like to stay with Ext JS for a few years. I have still confidence in Sencha.
    You also used Webix, didn't use? Is this a good replacement for Ext JS? Can you use Webix components with React?

Sencha User

About new people at Sencha, I think it is quite harsh to say that "they don't know what they are doing". What inside information do you have that you can make this statement?
    Check the latest bug reports for the nightly build posted by Evan (evant).

I have looked at React and Angular, but that is not even close to Ext JS.
    I suggest taking a look at DevExtreme Angular UI framework. It's not as advanced as ExtJS, but still could be a pretty good alternative.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast