Thread: Does ExtJs 6.5 support ES6 template literals?

Sencha Premium User

Default Does ExtJs 6.5 support ES6 template literals?

I have two pages in my ExtJs 6.5 modern project. Both have custom HTML contents. One HTML content is constructed with multiple lines concatenated with '+' symbol. Another page uses ES6 template literal.

When I publish the modern project, both pages work fine. However, when I do "Build & Emulate", the page with template literal is blank on both Android & iOS, whereas the one concatenated with '+' symbol appears fine. I use a web browser to connect to the webview to inspect the JS script source (I disabled the compress mode) and the template literal is empty (``).

Answers

I noticed the same issue. It seems to be a Sencha CMD bug. I wanted to leverage the multi-line string capability of template literals, but after building the application for production, in the place where there was the template literal, is an empty string. This is not happening for all template literals though. Those with expression interpolation are built just fine, but those without are replaced by empty strings. Here is the test case I've used:

Code in development:
    Code:
    let name = 'John';
    Ext.toast({
      title: `Hello ${name}`,
      html: `Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula
    eget dolor. Aenean massa.`
    });

Code in production after "sencha app build":
    Code:
    var a = 'John';
    Ext.toast({
      title: 'Hello ' + a,
      html: ''
    })

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

I filed a bug report on this about a month ago. Haven't heard anything back yet other than that an issue has been created. I'm not seeing any progress on a fix, however. This morning I sent an request for an update as I'm stuck unable to deploy a packaged application until this is fixed.

I created a project and put it on github to demonstrate the problem --> https://github.com/bobringer/template-literals

My next option is to attempt this --> https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?331255

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

I use template literals without interpolation everywhere, so I can use multiline strings. I can't just replace these with regular strings.

@chramer, the good news (for me at least) is that you hit on a scenario that provides a pretty simple workaround.

I'm just making it a habit of adding ${""} to the front of every template literal. Not ideal, but until we get a fix, it does the job without side effects.

Answers

@bobringer, thanks for the tip! Indeed, it works like that. I hope they fix this in the next CMD update. This is not the kind of habit I would like to adopt

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

According to Sencha, it should be fixed in one of the nightly builds in the next day or two (or last night, I haven't had a chance to check yet.)

It should certainly be in 6.5.1