Thread: With extjs 6.5, which toolkit for developing desktop applications?

Sencha User
    Answers

Default With extjs 6.5, which toolkit for developing desktop applications?

Does it make sense to start using the modern toolkit to develop desktop web applications now that most functionality is available in modern toolkit 6.5.?

Is there a performance improvement with modern over classic toolkit?

Thanks.

Answers

Not related to performance, but here is Sencha's answer to the "When starting a new project, which toolkit should I use?" question, from a recent blog post:
    We recommend the Modern toolkit for most new projects, but there are several features in the Classic toolkit that would also make it the right choice. The following features are only available in Classic: locking grids, support for IE8 / 9 / 10, and accessibility and support for RTL (Right-to-left) languages. If your application needs these capabilities, then Classic is the way to go.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

In my opinion, it's a really unfortunate time to be kicking off a new web application right now because Modern is looking the goods but there are some significant holes in it for desktop applications compared to Classic. The holes that I am referring to include, amongst others, the filtering on grid columns that you get with Classic

It means that if the project is large and you want to start now, you'd be using the Classic toolkit to avoid those "holes" while in the knowledge that Modern is rapidly becoming the correct choice for the job you're doing. It seems obvious from the work done between 6.2.1 & 6.5.90 that the development team is prioritising the closing of those Modern "holes"...

So .. do you start out with Modern in the hope those holes are closed in time for your project? ... or just do it in Classic. But then, what if you want to build a desktop & mobile app & you want to avoid all the duplicated effort of working with both Classic & Modern toolkits !!!?

I guess this is not much help to you, but as chramer & the blog said, check the functionality you need to use & if Modern covers enough bases for you, go with that.

Sencha User
    Answers

A lot of modern toolkit components don't have feature parity with classic toolkit yet, in many cases they have more bugs and there are still more components and more user extensions for classic. Until ExtJS 7 I would recommend to stick to classic toolkit for building desktop apps. I don't think the performance different is significant.

Sencha User
    Answers

Software has always been a moving target. I had a COO that I used to work for that said that all software is disposable. I think he was correct to a degree. Point being that, it is never a good time because the software industry is constantly changing. He was also all about VELOCITY. Write the software fast, get it into production because it is going to be obsolete soon.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

A wise old coo.