Thread: Disabling password protection?

Default Answered: Disabling password protection?

In my Details/Set Fiddle Info there is an advanced section where the password can be set, but no option for turning it off. Setting the password field to blank and saving does not seem to work.

Additionally, any new fiddle I create is automatically password protected, making it impossible to share any of my fiddles.

2. Oh wow, I just realized that the password was the same as the password for my login, so I think LastPass is autofilling it when I open the form (I suppose it makes sense, since it's looking for password inputs).

Yep, just disabled autofill and it's not being populated. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to tell LastPass to not fill that input specifically (short of renaming it from "password") so I'll just leave autofill off. There's some discussion on StackOverflow about autocomplete="off" but it's not respected by default so AFAIK there's no way to "fix" this from fiddle's perspective.

So, no bug there, just user error!

I just noticed that setting the password field to blank, clicking "Set", and saving the fiddle seems to do the job (oops, user error). However, it does seem that this UI (having to clear the password box) is not very intuitive, especially being on by default and hidden in the advanced section. Perhaps there should be a checkbox?

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

Password isn't on by default. Fiddles I've created do not have passwords on them. If you load the fiddle app and save that as a new fiddle, does it have a password? Trying to see if this is a leftover artifact of setting a password on a fiddle and creating a new fiddle while staying on the app.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Yeah, just loading up a new tab to fiddle.sencha.com with a blank new fiddle and hitting save (and giving it a title) seems to set a password. If I drop down the advanced settings when saving it just shows dots in the field, I'm not sure what it's autofilling that with.

Answers

Odd. I just opened fiddle and saved a new fiddle and no password is set. I do see out of the 8 fiddles you have saved, the newest 2 do have a password but I'm unable to get a fiddle to set a password when I didn't set one.

Another test I did was loaded that saved fiddle with no password and set a password on it. I then clicked "New" to start a new fiddle without reloading the fiddle app and saved that new fiddle. This second fiddle was saved without a password which rules out the idea that there is a leak from one fiddle to the next without reloading the app (least for me).

It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just trying to reproduce it. I do see some fiddles in last week that have a password set on them but it's only a small fraction of them that have it so would seem like maybe those were on purpose.

Check out my GitHub:

Oh wow, I just realized that the password was the same as the password for my login, so I think LastPass is autofilling it when I open the form (I suppose it makes sense, since it's looking for password inputs).

Yep, just disabled autofill and it's not being populated. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to tell LastPass to not fill that input specifically (short of renaming it from "password") so I'll just leave autofill off. There's some discussion on StackOverflow about autocomplete="off" but it's not respected by default so AFAIK there's no way to "fix" this from fiddle's perspective.

So, no bug there, just user error!

Answers

hmmm I don't use LastPass, I use 1password so I'm not 100% sure how LastPass handles autofilling. Is it just <input type="password" /> or does it look at the name of the inputs and if it's in some array of common names they handle it. I can rename the field easy enough.

Check out my GitHub:

I'm really not sure, LastPass is closed source so figuring out how they handle autofilling is going to be fairly difficult, unfortunately. The StackOverflow post mentioned using a keyword like "search" as part of the input or form id, or waiting to attach the form until after page load, but I'm not sure if either of those will work.