Thread: ViewControl vs plain old Controls in an MVVM pattern

Sencha Premium User

Default Answered: ViewControl vs plain old Controls in an MVVM pattern

So I come from the world of MVC frameworks and have recently migrated to Ext JS. One of the areas I'm confused about is using an MVC pattern vs the newer MVVM pattern and specifically what is the purpose of a Control in a MVVM pattern if you also have a ViewControl.

Hopefully someone can give me some insight.

2. I think this is a change of thought.

With MVC extending Ext.app.Controller you need to think globally. When you need to resolve a component, it's not the easiest to ensure you only get the one you want, your ComponentQuery selectors can get ugly real fast.

However, with Ext.app.ViewController you think much more "local". A ViewController should only control the view it's bound to and the children that view specifies. This allows your code to be much more specific and module leading to more maintainable code. Listeners specified on the view can resolve to the ViewController automagically, very little configuration involved.

Personally, I never really had an issue with MVC but since we brought MVVM into the picture, I don't use Ext.app.Controller at all. I only use Ext.app.ViewController throughout my application. Using Ext.app.Controller still has it's uses for global things depending on your application.

As a matter of fact, I'll be giving a talk at SenchaCon on some architecture best practices and the difference between the two is going to be part of it... if you're coming

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

I think this is a change of thought.

With MVC extending Ext.app.Controller you need to think globally. When you need to resolve a component, it's not the easiest to ensure you only get the one you want, your ComponentQuery selectors can get ugly real fast.

However, with Ext.app.ViewController you think much more "local". A ViewController should only control the view it's bound to and the children that view specifies. This allows your code to be much more specific and module leading to more maintainable code. Listeners specified on the view can resolve to the ViewController automagically, very little configuration involved.

Personally, I never really had an issue with MVC but since we brought MVVM into the picture, I don't use Ext.app.Controller at all. I only use Ext.app.ViewController throughout my application. Using Ext.app.Controller still has it's uses for global things depending on your application.

As a matter of fact, I'll be giving a talk at SenchaCon on some architecture best practices and the difference between the two is going to be part of it... if you're coming
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

The one area where I think a global controller works great is for routing especially when you need to route to a view that is not initialized when the application loads.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

True and hopefully for Ext JS 7 (under review for acceptance) I will have a change where routing becomes a mixin. I personally use utility singletons to manage my routes in the portal and new fiddle (under dev) for the same reason you are using a global controller. Thinking of the default Cmd app, MainController is pretty much a global controller but in a ViewController fashion since the Main view is always around.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.