Thread: What are your thoughts on SA?

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Default What are your thoughts on SA?

So, a month after the EA release of SA4, I would have expected a bit more activity on the forums. I hope that this isn't a sign of SA's popularity and an indicator of an uncertain future for the product.

Despite its various quirks, I feel that SA is often unfairly overlooked.

On the positive side, the GUI layout editor, project inspector, and property editor are all great and offer a lot over the other IDE plugin options
    On the negative side, it is painfully slow on large projects and the metadata structure seems to result in a multitude of changes files for the smallest of modifications making version control history a mess. I'd be afraid to have more than a single person working on a project concurrently due to the amplified potential for conflicts.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

I couldn't live without Sencha Architect, and have been using it since 2011 when it started out as Ext Designer (it - and the grids - was why I chose Ext JS in the first place). I do feel sometimes like an unwanted step-child for using it, though. I get raised eyebrows whenever I mention it, even from Sencha people (who appear not to use it themselves, and if they do, only for small stuff).

Its code editing experience could do with some love. I would hope that by the time version 5 is released its editor is something like this. Seeing everybody else get fancy code completions with other IDEs is a tease when we've got a plan text editor and two pre-defined colour schemes. Nevertheless, it's such a time saver in other areas that it's worth tolerating the downsides.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

That editor looks nice. One of my projects in SA requires code input. Currently I'm just using a text area, might look at migrating across to Ace

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

I'm referring to the experience that we have typing code, as users of Sencha Architect, not the html component itself.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

I use SA for projects large and small. If I had to hand code a Sencha app, I'd probably lose what little is left of my sanity. Bottom line: I find it to be an indispensable tool for Sencha application development and maintenance. I do, however, share your concern regarding the lack of talk around the product and worry about its long term viability. I also wish SA releases were feature matched to current ExtJS releases. It's great that ExtJS 6.2 is supported on day one of the SA 4 release, but the calendar component won't be supported for a few months as I understand it. It seems support for the latest framework version would be a higher priority for Sencha's one and only GUI IDE.

Sencha User
    Answers

I migrated my projects away from SA. The reason was, that SA 3.x was insanely slow on my project sizes, the lack of model inheritance, the fact that SA creates code out of metadata, and doesn't work with "real" .js files, as already said the versioning hell, and the nightmare when it came to the support of major ExtJs Upgrades (e.g. 4 to 5, 5 to 6). I think we waited over 6 months until Sencha was able to release a SA version that supported ExtJs 6. And this is just not tolerable.
    However, I totally liked the theming possibilities and the preview of components. That was pretty neat! But until the above mentioned flaws aren't fixed, I'll stick with my text editor.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

I guess my main concern about the speed and code from metadata are that they are fundamentally baked into the design of SA, and I presume would required a significant amount effort to address. Coupled with the (perceived?) small user base, I'm not very optimistic. Having said that, perhaps if these issues were addressed then the popularity would grow.

Regarding the code from metadata, my main complaint is the interaction with version control system. I do like how it keeps a clean code base.

In any case, I'll continue to us SA for now and see what the future holds.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by marc.fearby View Post
    I'm referring to the experience that we have typing code, as users of Sencha Architect, not the html component itself.
    Understood - it was more of a thanks for pointing out something that fills a hole in a current project that I wasn't aware of

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CaCtus491 View Post
    Understood - it was more of a thanks for pointing out something that fills a hole in a current project that I wasn't aware of
    I actually learned about the existence of https://ace.c9.io/ during a Sencha online training session (that came with the premium license) a week ago with David Marsland. I picked up quite a few good tips! Definitely recommended.