Thread: Implementing an inverted direction Ext.dataview.List

Sencha Premium User

Default Implementing an inverted direction Ext.dataview.List

I'm implementing an dataview list in Ext JS 6 modern toolkit, where the start of the list is in the bottom of the screen (I'm developing a chat app so the recent messages must be on the bottom). The only way that I figured out to do this was using the transform CSS rule in the following way:

- Firstly I rotated the list container 180 degrees, so the start of the list is in the bottom (but the items are now rotated too).
    - Then I rotated each item individually, so the list and the items have now the position that I want.

The PROBLEM is that the scrolling direction is inverted now, so when I scroll down the list scrolls up and so.

Is there a way to invert the scrolling direction?? Or is there another way to achieve the effect that I want?? (inverted direction list).

Sencha User
    Answers

Can't you simply insert the new record at the desired position in your store?
    Also, you can simply sort your store.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hakimio View Post
    Can't you simply insert the new record at the desired position in your store?
    Also, you can simply sort your store.
    You are a retard. don't answer any more.

Sencha User
    Answers

I don't think that response was necessary.

hakimio is correct.

Stores auto sort if they are configured with a sorter, so insertions always go to the place they are supposed to go as defined by the store's active Sorters.

So sort the store by creationTime, DESC and new items will always go to the top.

Sencha Premium Member

No! he is not correct!
    Posts like this are what causes extjs to be not as good as other solutions.
    We need a list that suits conversations!
    If I wanted to develop this by myself I wouldn't pay you for Extjs.
    So stop avoiding solutions and start working on it!

Sencha User
    Answers

I have done this before and the solution I used was to scroll down to the bottom of the list each time a new conversation was posted. I think you made this too complex.

Sencha Premium Member

No, it's not only that.
    First of all, scrolling to the end every time affects performance, especially when there is a lot of data.
    Second, you need the correct timing for scrolling after the store has loaded and displayed otherwize the scrolling will not take place after the data is placed and won't scroll.
    In other words, stop being a smartypants and let's improve the product.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers

I agree with hakimio, Alex and Nige. What I would do is use a store's sort and add a new reply into the store and then scroll to the bottom.

I don't agree that performance is a concern here though. Testing on an actual device with the above fiddle shows zero slowness for me (of course it's a stand alone example).

@daviddayag, I'd also like to point out our terms of use which you agreed to when you registered and is in the footer of every page here. The language you have used (especially your first post here) goes against the agreed terms of use and I will ask you to refrain from such language. Even if @hakimio said something that was blatantly wrong doesn't give you the right to speak to him like that. He is under no obligation to reply and does so for free.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Sencha User
    Answers

I'm baffled by the venom here.

The OP wanted a solution in which new posts are inserted either the beginning or the end.

Sorting by a time stamp achieves that.

scrolling to some as yet unspecified position in the view is a completely separate requirement. It can be done if required. You can use a store add listener to use one of several provided APIs to do whatever you please. You can request the view's Scrollable API to scroll to the bottom or the top. Or you can use the view's own scrolling API to scroll any particular record into view.

daviddayag, what application solution are you asking for in this thread that is not being provided for you?