Thread: Tooltips initially vertical, then horizontal!

Sencha User
    Answers

Default Answered: Tooltips initially vertical, then horizontal!

I am really new to SA, so bear with me. In my project, many form fields have tooltips. Whenever the user hovers over a field for the first time, the tooltip is displayed vertically: the text is fine, but the box is taller than it is wide. Once the user leaves, and returns, the tooltip displays horizontally, as desired. (The box is wider than it is high, normally one line of text.)
    Where should I look to see why the display is wrong on the initial access?
    If I visit each tooltip several times so they all display horizontally, then close the form and re-open it, the problem repeats: the initial display of each tooltip is vertical again.

2. I was able to fix this. None of the tooltip stylings I could find were setting the width, so I added this to a custom CSS file; even though the main tooltip styles (.x-tip, .x-tip-default, etc) were set later by the dynamically-generated stylesheet
    _all.css, this earlier definition survived since it wasn't over-written.
    Code:
    .x-tip-default {
         min-width: 300px; 
    }
    So the initial display was at least 300px, and thus looked pretty good. Later displays might be wider, but still none looked "vertical" from being too narrow.

Sencha User
    Answers

PS: I'm using SA 3.2, and ExtJS 5.1.1. I found some older (2007+!) threads mentioning this problem, but saying that it was fixed in ExtJS 4.2.1 in 2011. Perhaps this is from a new cause? In any case, for now I will try some of the work-arounds I've found, and post the results here when done. Of course, if anyone has a real fix, that'd be great!

Sencha User
    Answers

I couldn't find any reports of this. It would probably help our engineers to see the previous bug report if you don't mind posting a link. Have you added any CSS that might be affecting things here?

Sencha User
    Answers

Here's one I found via Google, with links to two older threads. It may not be related. I haven't added any new CSS recently, but this is a project that's been going on for a while before me, so hard to say. Any suggestions where to look would help; in the old threads there are suggestions about over-riding minWidth.
    (Edit: I realize this link goes to the ExtJS 4.x Beta area, not SA.)

https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?260646-Vertical-button-tooltip-issue

Sencha User
    Answers

I was able to fix this. None of the tooltip stylings I could find were setting the width, so I added this to a custom CSS file; even though the main tooltip styles (.x-tip, .x-tip-default, etc) were set later by the dynamically-generated stylesheet
    _all.css, this earlier definition survived since it wasn't over-written.
    Code:
    .x-tip-default {
         min-width: 300px; 
    }
    So the initial display was at least 300px, and thus looked pretty good. Later displays might be wider, but still none looked "vertical" from being too narrow.