Thread: JavaScript source code protection?

Answers

Default Answered: JavaScript source code protection?

Is it possible to somehow obfuscate the JS-source code of the native app?
    AFAIK apk's sourcecode (for example) can be easily made visible.
    Will that be possible too when I use a PhoneGap/Cordova native build?
    Or is it even possible to use 3rd party libraries like www.jscrambler.com to protect my source-code?

Thanks!

Regards from Germany
    German EXT-User and -Lover :-).

2. http://docs.phonegap.com/en/4.0.0/gu..._index.md.html

Here it is more clarified. It is easily possible to currently read the Source-Code of Sencha Touch + Cordova Applications.

So just 2 solutions:
    1. Officially Sencha gives "Sencha Space", which includes souce-code protection, so thats why I guess here is no official answer for doing it yourself, since they have a product ready to buy for this case.
    2. Use different JavaScript libraries (YUICompressor, JSScrambler,...) which obfuscate your code even more. Since it's JavaScript and has to be read to be executed, of course source-code can never be encrypted (Security through obfuscation / obscurity).

Sencha User
    Answers

My understanding is that the code is still available. You can obfuscate the code and deter some folks, but ultimately if JavaScript is being run, it is available in some form. I suppose if your application is only privately available, that would provide some measure of code security.

Answers

Yes definitely I think JavaScript will be visible, but SenchaCMD does a good job of minimizing it already, so it's hard to read. Moreover I think it is possible to run external 3rd party libraries like JSScrambler and then build a native package with it, from an even more obfuscated source-code. Nonetheless you have just to try it out. Will do that in at a later stage. Thanks!

Answers

http://docs.phonegap.com/en/4.0.0/gu..._index.md.html

Here it is more clarified. It is easily possible to currently read the Source-Code of Sencha Touch + Cordova Applications.

So just 2 solutions:
    1. Officially Sencha gives "Sencha Space", which includes souce-code protection, so thats why I guess here is no official answer for doing it yourself, since they have a product ready to buy for this case.
    2. Use different JavaScript libraries (YUICompressor, JSScrambler,...) which obfuscate your code even more. Since it's JavaScript and has to be read to be executed, of course source-code can never be encrypted (Security through obfuscation / obscurity).