Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ExtJs open source or not?

Quote Originally Posted by imran View Post
    Completely agree with Mitchell on this.

We've been using ExtJS for years without Cmd, and yes, it works quite well in IE8 depending on the application type. Sencha Cmd is not *required* to build an ExtJS app, but it does offer scaffolding to jumpstart development and a builder for lean builds. SASS/Image slicing is simplified by Cmd, but again the sass source files are available and can be used with Compass.
    Disagree, for the intended use of the framework, large scale responsive single page applications, a build tool is indispensable. I rather have a more reliable limited framework with the command tool than a shinny flashy (and less reliable) framework without.

Sencha Premium User mitchellsimoens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by halcwb View Post
    And my suspicion is that the most stable versions of the framework will be for support subscribers only (given the recent history).
    Only because support only releases will have bug fixes that the GPL versions do not because the support only release is a newer release. This is one of the main benefits of purchasing a support subscription.
    Mitchell Simoens @LikelyMitch

Check out my GitHub:
    https://github.com/mitchellsimoens

Posts are my own, not any current, past or future employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Only because support only releases will have bug fixes that the GPL versions do not because the support only release is a newer release. This is one of the main benefits of purchasing a support subscription.
    OK, that I truly get ;-)

Ext JS Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Mitchell, honestly, would you recommend ExtJS for Open Source projects ?

Quote Originally Posted by _alex View Post
    Mitchell, honestly, would you recommend ExtJS for Open Source projects ?
    I personally love using Ext JS, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Check out my GitHub:

Ext JS Premium Member

Same for me, i love the Library and it`s (mostly) straight forward concepts.
    I would recommend it to my cat or everybody else who is willing to purchase commercial licence of at least the library and sencha architect.

However i`d really not recommend it for Open Source projects.

Sad to say this, but true:
    Neither access to bugfixes nor essential tools that reveal the whole power of the library is a big showstopper.

Not only cmd is missing, much worse is the fact that there is definitely no option to use Architect without the purchase of a 5 Developer Licence.

This leaves every Open Source project in the state before Architect was released.
    This means painful handcrafted views. Wouldn't even think about not to create at least the basic configuration of any Layout with Architect.

I personally haven't received any official answer yet and don't understand why suddenly the single developer option (freelancer / one man show business) was removed from the store !

Very small businesses (including me) are now forced to cancel / drop the ideea of using Sencha products anymore, just because they cannot afford to pay for 5 developers licence.

And the whole idea of continuously licence terms changes that happened all these years, makes me wonder why not soon the only option will be 20 developers, or why not change it to 100, and so on.

This is outrageous, and I definetly say fairwell to Sencha too !

Will stick to pure JS, jQuery and will definetly give a try to the newly found qooxdoo (thanks Casper for the link !)

Good luck Sencha !
    ---
    Razvan Ioan ANASTASESCU
    Senior WEB Developer

Sad to say this, but true:
    Neither access to bugfixes nor essential tools that reveal the whole power of the library is a big showstopper.
    I'm assuming you mean the support only releases?

Not only cmd is missing
    Cmd is an optional tool. Yes it's not open source but you don't have to use it. I'd always use it, it's free anyway.

Check out my GitHub:

Ext JS Premium Member

Yes, the support-only releases tend to be the most stable.
    You also mentioned them to be one of the main benefits a support subscription gives.

So every Open Source Project using ExtJS will have to deal with the Bug`s fixed in these releases / not have this benefits - thats quite odd.

For Cmd, you are right.
    I personally don't use it as i build client-side code on the server myself, depending on the User`s permissions / parts of the application he has rights to use.

But there is still no way for Open Source projects to use Architect.
    You can argue that there is no need using it, what is true.
    But this, as i wrote, is maybe not the most productive way developing ExtJS apps.

So, without Bug-Fix Releases and the nice workflow using Architect there is a bunch of alternatives that come close to ExtJS in terms of Widgets and also productivity.

And therefore i would not recommend ExtJS for Open Source projects.

To each his own of course. I personally don't use Architect but there isn't anything stopping anyone from using Architect for open source applications, you'd have to purchase Architect but it can very well be used for building an open source application. So two things there, Architect isn't free but it can be used to build the application.

To me, Cmd would be just fine to use but it sounds like it wouldn't work for your project as it seems you need something on the fly where Cmd is really meant to build on deployment so that decision sounds project based. If you had not needed to build on the fly then Cmd could still very well be used. Just trying to say that for open source apps, Cmd can be used.

Maybe I have great luck but thus far in 5.x I haven't had a release that isn't stable for my applications. Remember, there hasn't been a support only release in the 5.x branch yet but of course there will be. We are focused right now on delivering something very exciting for SenchaCon right now too

Check out my GitHub:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast