Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused by GXT/GWT versions and the move from GWT Dev to Super Dev Mode

Sencha Premium User

Default Confused by GXT/GWT versions and the move from GWT Dev to Super Dev Mode

I'm a bit (quite a lot actually) confused by recent talk of a lack of browser support for GWT Dev Mode and the need to move to Super Dev Mode. I'm hoping I can keep my head in the sand and ignore it for a while longer - maybe someone can shed some light please?

My GXT app currently uses GXT 2.3.0 and GWT 2.4.0 and I've been putting off upgrading to GXT 3.x - hopefully I can move straight to 4.x early next year - does anyone know if that's going to be feasible or will I have to move to 3.x before 4.x?

Another question - should I stay on GWT 2.4 for now or can/should I move to a later version whilst still using GXT 2.3.0?

And that first question - am I likely to run into any (debugging) issues anytime soon if I continue with my current setup? (I currently use IE11 for my GXT development)

Any help/advice would be much appreciated - thanks.

Ext GWT Premium Member

I am using SuperDevMode with GXT and it works really nice.

My experience are:
    if you start using SuperDevMode, you should use the latest versions of GWT, because they did a lot of work to improve SuperDevMode. Moving to the last stable released GWT version (2.6.1) will force you to update your GXT lib to one of the latest versions.

I am using GXT 3.1 and I like it very much. It works well with SuperDevMode. I have no much experiences with SuperDevMode and GXT 2.x.

Moving to SuperDevMode is the future of GWT and I think, it is now stable enough to do so. Also you can save a copy of FireFox 24 f.e. to use it with the old school dev mode .. :-)

Sencha Premium User

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

I guess I need to start looking to convert my app to a later version of GXT - I thought version 4 was slated for later this year but not sure if that's still the case. I won't get around to an update until next year though so hopefully I'll be able to move straight to version 4 then.

Ext GWT Premium Member

I don't know the release date of GXT 4.0 not, but I think it will take some time.

Sencha Sr Product Manager

GXT 3.1.2 will work with GWT 2.7.x (at this time GWT 2.7.0-RC1).

GWT 2.3.1a will work with GXT 2.6.1. I've got to double check on it working with GWT 2.7.x.

GXT 4.0 is scheduled for the future and we are delayed but its in development. We've added an option to buy extended support for GXT 2.x versions, although I suggest contacting sales to see what those options are.

Google Plugin for Eclipse is coming out with a update which will help make it smoother to run DevMode or Super Dev Mode and I suspect this update will be out sometime this week if all goes well. Jetbrains IDEA 14EAP is already sporting the better launch DevMode launch config which can easily turn on Super Dev Mode. The launch configs also back ports some of the SuperDevMode runner for GWT 2.5.x, 2.6.x. GWT 2.7.0 has super dev mode debugging improvements making it easier to run super dev mode.

http://docs.sencha.com/gxt/3.1/getti...e_Eclipse.html - There is a video that shows the launch config running for Eclipse.

For anybody using GWT 2.4.0, I recommend at least upgrading it to GWT 2.5.1. If you upgrade and want to use GWT 2.6.1, then you'll need GXT 2.3.1a to use it with GWT 2.6.1.

Does that help?

I forgot, I don't know of any issues with IE11 and debugging Things look good using Dev Mode in the IE browsers.

Ext GWT Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by branflake2267 View Post
    GWT 2.3.1a will work with GXT 2.6.1. I've got to double check on it working with GWT 2.7.x.
    Any word on GXT 2.x support for GWT 2.7?

GXT 2.3.1a works with GWT 2.7.0 and is available for the support memberships. There could be a possibility of some issues but none have been reported yet. Have you tried GXT 2.3.1a?

Ext GWT Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by branflake2267 View Post
    GXT 2.3.1a works with GWT 2.7.0 and is available for the support memberships. There could be a possibility of some issues but none have been reported yet. Have you tried GXT 2.3.1a?
    Starting to test now. We do some funky stuff to get GWT devmode to work in our product (we have a custom proxy class to forward requests to the server), so I wanted to rule out any GXT/GWT incompatibilities before diving into SuperDevMode.

Looks like I can do a full compile with the version and it works, so that's a good start. Thanks!

Nice job drilling the issues. Sounds good. Let me know if you run into any SDM issue, I'm interested in helping find a solution for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast