Thread: "Pinning" portlets to top of the page

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Default "Pinning" portlets to top of the page

Hi there,

I have another problem using the GXT portal layout.

In our application there are three portal columns. The middle one contains very many portlets (which represent activities in a workflow stream). In the left and right columns, various "widgets" can be placed.

When there are more portlets in the middle column, a scrollbar appears at the right side of the page. Scrolling down means that the whole portal is scrolled, not only the middle column. That means that the portlets in the left and right column are not visible any more when scrolling down.

Is there
    - either a way to put the scrollbar only to the middle column of the portal
    - or a way to "pin" the portlets to the top of the visible part of the page?

Holger

Sencha User
    Answers

These 3 lines should change the scrolling behavior of the center column. But I am not sure, if this is suffucient. Untested!
    Code:
            PortalLayoutContainer plc = new PortalLayoutContainer(3);
            CssFloatLayoutContainer centerCol = (CssFloatLayoutContainer) plc.getContainer().getWidget(1);
            centerCol.setScrollMode(ScrollMode.AUTOY);

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Hi Andreas,
    thank for your answer.

I have tested something similar (setting the scroll mode to ALWAYS for widget 1).
    That had the effect that there were scrollbars in the middle portal column. But those were always inactive. The scrollbar of the portal appeared also as before...

Perhaps I will make a few more tests...

Sencha User
    Answers

Holger, you are right.

The solution I mentioned leads to a scroll bar at the middle column.
    Pinning left and right column to the top and thus having scroll bar at the right seems to be difficult here. Maybe you can mess around with the positioning of left and right column. Something like
    Code:
    position: absolute;
    top: 10px;

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Showing the scroll bar in the middle column could be ok, too.
    I wanted to say that there is a scrollbar in the middle, but it is always without function (disabled). Instead, an additional scroll bar appears at the right side of the page that can be used for scrolling.

What I inteded to do is getting rid of the scrollbar on the right side and only use the one in the middle.