Thread: Referencing theme variables in a custom theme

Sencha User

Default Answered: Referencing theme variables in a custom theme

I'm an ExtJS newbie, and trying to create a custom theme for an app. I was just experimenting with changing things in a custom theme when I hit an issue. I tried to set the toolbar text color to the base color of my theme, which currently is inherited from the Neptune theme using this line in my-custom-theme/sass/var/toolbar/Toolbar.scss:

Code:
    $toolbar-text-color: $base-color !default;
    I had assumed the $base-color variable used here would cause the base color of the parent theme to be used. Instead running app build caused this error:

Code:
    error ThemeDemoApp-all.scss (Line 1 of ../../../../../packages/my-custom-theme/sass/var/toolbar/Toolbar.scss: Undefined variable: "$base-color".)
    I can see that $base-color is given a value in the Neptune theme Component.scss file, and the package.json for my custom theme says "extend": "ext-theme-neptune" ... shouldn't I be able to use the $base-color variable? Or am I doing this theming incorrectly? I attached a debug log of my build, with the error above on line 27411
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. This is one of the shortcomings of SASS, due to the order in which the files are included. You'll have to redefine $base-color in your theme's Component.scss if you want to derive other variables from it.

Answers

This is one of the shortcomings of SASS, due to the order in which the files are included. You'll have to redefine $base-color in your theme's Component.scss if you want to derive other variables from it.
    Phil Guerrant
    Ext JS - Development Team