Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to find remote job for ExtJS developer?

Sencha Premium Member

Do you live in the U.S.? Because it's pretty unlikely that any U.S. company (or the U.S. government) will hire you and let you work remotely from outside the U.S. The only likely way that would happen is if you're a well-known expert, and even then most companies will still have concerns.

For finding companies that will let you work remotely (in general), it's unlikely to happen in response to a job ad. Not impossible, but unlikely. Most companies would greatly prefer having someone on-site, so that's what they advertise for.

So the best route to getting offers for remote work is relationships. You have to make yourself known. Write blog entries. Write books. Present at conferences. Present at user group meetings. Create and contribute to open-source projects. Answer questions on forums and mailing lists. And so on.

Once people recognize you as an expert (in a range of technologies) who can actually solve problems, then you'll be in demand. Then people will be actively seek you out, and they'll be more open to the possibility of working remotely.

Unless you get really lucky, building recognition and building relationships are the only ways you're going to achieve what you're trying to do.

I am not from USA.
    Yes, the situation about free-lance is very sadly.
    Free-lancer needs to know in 5 times more than local developer and will get in 5 times less for the same job.
    Very similiar to be a slave with no choice.

Well, anyway if there is some way that Sencha can help to remote developers, than please do something for them.
    Do at least some job board special for remote developers as I wrote in another thread.
    As for me I said bye to ExtJS and Sencha Touch 2-3 years ago.

Sencha Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail Tatsky View Post
    Well, anyway if there is some way that Sencha can help to remote developers, than please do something for them. Do at least some job board special for remote developers as I wrote in another thread.
    Sencha isn't in the job placement business. There are plenty of existing job sites.

As for me I said bye to ExtJS and Sencha Touch 2-3 years ago.
    Then I'm not sure what you're posting here for. But if you think the challenges around finding positions where you can work remotely is specific to Sencha, you're sorely mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    Sencha isn't in the job placement business. There are plenty of existing job sites.
    Is http://nodejs.org/ job placement business?
    No, but even on it there is place for jobs
    http://jobs.nodejs.org/a/jobs/find-jobs

I again repeat the problem of remote developers, it is very difficult to find remote job.
    I do not talk about goverment companies, there are plenty number of other companies who are needed in developers.

Then I'm not sure what you're posting here for. But if you think the challenges around finding positions where you can work remotely is specific to Sencha, you're sorely mistaken.
    Yes, I know it. Although Sencha has many remote developers, they did not do it.
    Do not know resoan.
    Why I wrote here, because of some big frustration.
    I just see that if not my boss although I am very cool about coding, I can not find job, not because the matter is in me.

P.S.:
    Before think of me bad, imagine that you are not in contry where there are jobs, and than all your knowledge is nothing and you would be out of job.
    How you will behave yourself, when you do not have money to supply family, and on ask companies to hire you, you would get some good lucking in searching.

I would be honest, I get 20$ per hour. Is it ok for the developer who can develop javascript framework from scratch?
    For the year I earn 20 000$, not as basic USA engenier 80 000$ per year.
    Also I have many cool friends-developers from University who work for 8$ per hour with 5-7 years of developing for ios, wordpress, ror and others.

Yes, I want some good rate as any person wants that to supply family.
    Yes, I want to buy car, not super cool, just usual car, I want to do flat repair, supply my family.
    But what I got, I got not hiring and saying me be calm.
    You are calm because you can without any problem can be hired even if you know 5% of my knowledge.

Yes, I am sorely mistaken about written here at all... But I can not be calm about it.

Happy for all who has good salary and job.
    Wish you luck.

You make 20K in your country, how much of that is income tax, sales tax (vat), property tax, and every other tax we pay here, how much is the rent there? I bet if you compare apples to apples, you will find that your 20k there is 80k here, or close.
    Also, companies here have to abide by our laws and regulations, and makes it difficult to hire individuals abroad. They tend to contract other businesses for help, in India, Russia, etc. and avoid direct hires of non-US citizens. Try to find such a company where you are.

As far as your comment about us having good jobs with only 5% of your knowledge, what can I say? This kind of thinking will not get you anywhere.
    varsos

Sencha Premium Member

I just see that if not my boss although I am very cool about coding, I can not find job, not because the matter is in me.
    It sounds to me like you're being unrealistic. Based on what you've said so far, you:
    • Are not a well-known expert in the industry
    • Stopped using Ext JS and Touch several years ago
    • Want a job developing with Ext JS or Touch
    • Want comparable pay to a U.S. worker
    • Want to work remotely
    • Believe someone else should be responsible for finding you this imaginary job
    I'll be blunt: this just isn't going to happen. You're talking about a relatively small group of well-paid remote developers. People who are typically fairly well-known experts who have spent years cultivating a personal brand and a network of peers. If you think a Sencha "job board" is going to magically get you into that group, then you couldn't be more wrong.

Before think of me bad, imagine that you are not in contry where there are jobs, and than all your knowledge is nothing and you would be out of job. For the year I earn 20 000$, not as basic USA engenier 80 000$ per year.
    I don't think of you as bad. But the reality is that most developers don't work remotely. If the job market in their area is poor, then they change their focus to something that is in demand or they move to a new location. That's just reality. That's just how the world is. Thousands of people move or change careers every day. What they don't do is sit back and ask the world to change to accommodate them.

You are calm because you can without any problem can be hired even if you know 5% of my knowledge.
    If you really believe that, then you're deluding yourself. First, if you really had 20 times more knowledge than I (or any other remote developer) has, you'd have more job offers than you could handle. Second, you make it sound like anyone can just go find a high-paying remote development job as long as they live somewhere special. That's just absurd. I can assure you that getting these types of jobs is very difficult. Possibly more difficult because there are so many developers who are willing to work on-site (or move) because the pool of candidates is so large.

It's understandable for you to feel frustrated, but please stop lying to yourself about the causes and the solutions.

@brian428

Amen.
    varsos

If you really believe that, then you're deluding yourself. First, if you really had 20 times more knowledge than I (or any other remote developer) has, you'd have more job offers than you could handle. Second, you make it sound like anyone can just go find a high-paying remote development job as long as they live somewhere special.
    I do not want to offend you and say that you are in 20 times less than me.
    What is the Junior salary in California, it is 40 000$ - taxes it is 28 000$.
    What Junior needs, almost nothing. Junior from Senior is about 20 times.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast