Thread: Using Sencha Touch along with Sencha Architect

Default Answered: Using Sencha Touch along with Sencha Architect

We have been using Ext JS almost for 4 years. We are stuck at Ext JS 3.2 but we have been happy to select Ext JS ever since. Although we have developed a huge Web application without using a designer we got used to it.

Now we want to develop a Mobile app for some of our Web app functions like sales order entry, cancelling order, getting the list of orders, etc. What we want is a framework that is easy to grasp and let us develop these easy functions in a fast way. And most importantly (whole team insists on that) the app should like native as much as possible.

So we decided to use Sencha Touch (2.3.1) along with Sencha Architect (3.0.1). But unfortunately we have some doubts about this decision:

1. Our first build with Cordova for Android 4.3 had a very SIMPLE but important navigationview back button problem as mentioned in this forum. It was reported on October 10 and still there is no possible fix. This is a very long time to wait for a fix on such a simple problem and this concerns us. Since Mobile OS's are changing very fast, it's very likely that these kind of problems will be happening in the feature. But when a simple problem is not fixed in 2 months you can't say that Sencha Touch "works on iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, and more" since it's not.

What I'm saying is you have to be ahead of us; you have to detect problems when mobile OS's are upgraded and issue a fix for changes. If we detect before and report it than a fix should be issued as fast as possible. People use their own mobile phones for work and don't mind upgrading their mobile OS when there is a new version. We can't control them so we have to be ahead of them or we have to able to catch up with them as soon as possible.

2. We wanted to implement cancel order function using an "editable list" (This is not any official name but it is called in this name, in forums). Clicking Edit and then displaying "Delete\Cancel" buttons on every item became a common user experience for mobile users. (Or sliding an item and displaying a "Delete\Cancel" button just for that item). But unfortunately there isn't a component for this in Sencha Touch framework. There are advises on how to implement it and a couple of ux's that works pretty well but not compatible with the latest version of Touch.

After seeing the demos we feel like we can do almost everything. But after starting to use the framework we understand that the real experience is not that much smooth. Although we are new to Sencha Touch we see that it has improved pretty well but when you compare it with the other HTML5 mobile frameworks on the market, it doesn't seem like it's doing very well. While people hesitate choosing HTML5 for mobile development because of lack of native look and feel, Touch should prove that it has almost everything to accomplish this.

2. We decided to use Architect with our Touch app because it seemed really easier to develop with a designer after 4 years of coding with Ext JS without knowing what will come up after we run on the browser

It was nice at first with Architect: everything is organized, highly visual, a little bit different but much better than before. But the problems started when we wanted to integrate a user extension to our project. First of all the documentation about this is very poor, had lots of missing information. We hardly made a package and put it in our Extensions folder and it showed up in Architect. But when we dragged the component on to a panel, it gave an ambiguous error something like "..can not call substring on undefined..". That's it so we got stuck We need the extension but we can't integrate it to architect so we can't use it in our project.

If we weren't using Architect and just using Sencha Touch (as we were using Ext JS 3.2) we would be able to make this ux work in one way or another: We would be putting js, css, and other reosurces in our project, make the links and if there was a problem we would be catching it with Firebug. But this time we can't do anything. Whatever Architect is complaining about is not logged properly and we don't know what to fix.

Is Architect really ready as a flexible development environment? Because while it gave us visualization and structure it took our flexibility. And we can't give up on that.

We are writing these issues, problems hoping that they will be taken into consideration and Sencha products will be aiming higher. Please accept these as constructive comments in case our language deficiency doesn't make you feel this way after you read it

Thanks in advance

Ipek

2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. I will pass them along to my manager. I am following TOUCH-5029 and Engineering is aware of this issue and is currently working to resolve it.

I am going to move this thread to the Architect forums so your second question regarding Architect can be addressed.

Sencha - Support Team
    Answers

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. I will pass them along to my manager. I am following TOUCH-5029 and Engineering is aware of this issue and is currently working to resolve it.

I am going to move this thread to the Architect forums so your second question regarding Architect can be addressed.
    Get more personalized support via a support subscription.

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services [email protected]

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Need to include a test case use:
    The official Sencha Fiddle