Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sencha Touch 2.3.0 Quick Start

Default Sencha Touch 2.3.0 Quick Start

I'm hoping somebody can help outline how to setup new touch project folders using
    Touch 2.3.0 with Cmd 4.0.0.203 on Snow Leopard, running XAMPP.

I have downloaded and installed Sencha Cmd 4.0.0.203.
    I have downloaded Sencha Touch 2.3.0 download (rather than SDK as per Cmd recommendation).
    I have empty project folder assigned to local URL via XAMPP.
    I have confirmed Cmd works from where it is installed.

The question is, how do I get the required touch files and folders for creating new touch projects, via the extracted touch folder? The extracted folder doesn't reflect the same folder/files as per documentation ... it is my understanding that I can't just copy some files from the download touch directly, but instead, Cmd is supposed to be used to build required touch files and folders into my target project, from the download touch folder (as a template builder).

I have assigned a local URL for the downloaded touch folder, and successfully viewed the examples etc. However, it doesn't seem possible to just copy one of the example folders to a new project folder and run a new indepenent touch project via a unique lcoal URL ... just get a blank index page, assumingly because the required javascript structure is designed to work with the parent diretories and files that are included in the downloaded touch file.

I cannot for the life of me though, work out how to get a new touch project folder to include required touch folders and files!?

Can somebody please help.

For clarity, I have the following setup:
    /Volumes/webroot/sencha/touch-2.3.0/
    /Users/user/bin/Sencha/Cmd/4.0.0.203/
    /Volumes/webroot/projects/touchapp/

How do I get required touch folders and files into touchapp folder, so that I can use that folder as the root of a local touch app URL? When I put a blank index.html in touchapp folder I can obviously display it within the browser for testing, but how do I include touch files so that I can start using it and making my first hello world progress?
    Last edited by Ulysses69; 13 Oct 2013 at 2:18 PM. Reason: Using gpl instead of commercial

I found this helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANBltocd9wI
    I get the following error when I try to use sencha though: "The current working directory (/Volumes/webroot/projects/touchapp/touch-2.3.0) is not a valid SDK directory". Why am I getting this? Cmd 4.0 said that it doesn't use SDK touch anymore? I ran the same terminal test to write file and it wrote it into the touchapp directory as per the youtube video example.

Sencha User
    Answers

You need to read the document for Sencha cmd. This should get you started.

Open the terminal and go to the directory where you have sencha touch installed. Run the sencha generate app command.

Sencha generate app <app name> <directory to create app>

Quote Originally Posted by in4p View Post
    ...where you have sencha touch installed
    When you (and others) state 'installed' ... you are meaning extracted!? There isn't supposed to be a touch-2.3.0 installer that creates environment vars or something?

Also, whether I run sencha from /Volumes/webroot/sencha/touch-2.3.0/ or /Users/user/bin/Sencha/Cmd/4.0.0.203/ or /Volumes/webroot/projects/touchapp/touch-2.3.0/ ... I get "The current working directory is not a recognized Sencha SDK folder" ? I am not even using touch SDK because Cmd states not to use it!?

How does one create a recognized Sencha SDK folder? When Cmd is installed (and one tries to run sencha from Cmd or Touch folder), why does sencha expect to be running in an SDK folder? if that is mandatory, why don't the docs mention that one of those folders needs to be setup as an SDK folder and why doesn't the new Cmd installer create the folder with the right file or permissions? The Cmd 4.0 docs even state to use touch SDK, but all Cmd guides seem to suggest that touch SDK has been ditched in favour of the new non-sdk touch zip!?

Additionally, if there is just a way in which to get the required touch folders/files into my app root folder without all this nonsense then all the better.

Sencha User
    Answers

Dude, your overcomplicating things.

Download cmd and install. This installs to your bin directory so you can run it.
    Download touch and extract to somewhere. This is the Sdk. No more work required. If you've started modifying files etc in the Sdk that may be your issue with cmd not recognizing it as an Sdk directory, so extract a new copy and do it over.
    On a Mac,there are no other environmental variables you need to worry about.

I did just that ... again. I this time extracted sencha-touch-2.3.0-gpl.zip to /Users/user/bin/Sencha/touch-2.3.0/ and ran sencha command from that folder ... it still returns "not recognized Sencha SDK folder. Running in backwards compatible mode". Why is this happening?

This is on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but Ruby, Java and Cmd installed fine!?

Sencha Command does return as v2.0.0 beta 3 though, is that correct? when I downloaded 4.0.0.203? Now I think about it, I had previously installed touch SDK which is version 2.0.0 Beta 3? How is that returning when I am running sencha from extracted touch 2.3.0 folder?

Sencha User
    Answers

And what directory are you in when you run sencha cmd?

Type pwd at the terminal

Quote Originally Posted by in4p View Post
    And what directory are you in when you run sencha cmd?

Type pwd at the terminal
    Typed pwd and get "/Users/usr/bin/Sencha/touch-2.3.0/" as expected. If I then run sencha from that dir, I get the "not a recognized Sencha SDK folder" warning and after that Sencha Command v2.0.0 Beta 3 appears at the end of terminal when I have actually installed Sencha Cmd 4.0.0.203

Can anybody confirm what Sencha Command version is returned when they do this with the downloaded Sencha Cmd 4.0.0.203, as this seems like a possible problem at my end.

I even double-checked that the Touch SDK 2.0.0 Beta 3 was uninstalled using the uninstaller ... there is no Sencha product on my machine right now with version 2.0.0 Beta 3, so maybe one of the installers has created a problem system entry that is mesing with my setup. I have even re-installed Sencha Cmd after uninstalling the touch SDK to see if that would fix the problem, but it hasn't.
    Last edited by Ulysses69; 13 Oct 2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Pasted wrong folder path

Sencha User
    Answers

Ok, the problem is that you're running the run sencha command (the old one), because the path that was setup points to your old version.

From a terminal, you will need to open your profile file (it's a hidden file). For example, since I use the back shell it's called .bash_profile. It's located in your home directory.
    You will need to remove the export path that points to the old version of sencha cmd.

Try the following:

Open Terminal
    Type: cd ~/
    Then you can edit your profile file like: vi .bash_profile
    And remove the line pointing to the old sencha cmd

Thank you so much, that was in the .bash_profile file. Changed permissions and edited it out, but couldn't get sencha command to run at all. So I re-installed Sencha Cmd and we now have the proper Sencha Cmd version returning. Thanks alot for all your help. It is much appreciate and hopefully can help others out as much as it helped me. Now to see if I can get a hello world working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast