Thread: Sencha Touch access MS-SQL

Sencha User

Default Answered: Sencha Touch access MS-SQL

I am working on a mobile app project now. There are lots of legacy store procedures from Microsoft SQL database. I would like to know if it is possible to access MSSQL using Sencha Touch. If yes, could you please provide an example for me?
    Thanks in advanced.

2. Quote Originally Posted by jv9 View Post
    The mobile app will be web-based using Sencha Touch. I would like to know if it is possible to develop the mobile app by Sencha Touch which can access the legacy database.
    Yes, sure. Although not directly: there are no 'connectors' to databases such as MS SQL. ST basically communicates via HTTP (AJAX, REST, etc.). If your database has an HTTP interface (= you can use a browser to send a query in a URL and will get back an answer from the db either in XML or JSON), then you are fine. Otherwise you will need some sort of middle-ware, that can establish the communication between your web-based app and the database. It all depends on your setup.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

I guess it depends where your app is supposed to run. If it will be a native app, then you will need a server it can talk to and which has access to the SQL db. If it's a web app, then it must have access to the SQL db (be it on the same or on another server).

Sencha User

Hi ingo.hefti,
    Thanks for your reply. The mobile app will be web-based using Sencha Touch. I would like to know if it is possible to develop the mobile app by Sencha Touch which can access the legacy database.
    Thanks.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jv9 View Post
    The mobile app will be web-based using Sencha Touch. I would like to know if it is possible to develop the mobile app by Sencha Touch which can access the legacy database.
    Yes, sure. Although not directly: there are no 'connectors' to databases such as MS SQL. ST basically communicates via HTTP (AJAX, REST, etc.). If your database has an HTTP interface (= you can use a browser to send a query in a URL and will get back an answer from the db either in XML or JSON), then you are fine. Otherwise you will need some sort of middle-ware, that can establish the communication between your web-based app and the database. It all depends on your setup.

Sencha User

It's helpful. Thanks for your answer.