Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While loading 1000 records, script error raised in IE only

Default While loading 1000 records, script error raised in IE only

While loading 1000 records, script error raised in IE only. also the vertical scroll bar response is very slow.

1000recordsjserror1.jpg

if the row-expander plugin commented, there is no script error. kindly suggest me a solution.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Nobody can help you without code.
    Please post the code that loads the records - the data store, model and component that displays the records.

Typically you will get this if your javascript is stuck in a recursive loop.
    1000 records for ExtJS isnt a lot so you shouldnt be having issues.

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Default Re: script error raised in IE only

I'm also interested in a solution for this. I can get the "Stop running this script" window to show up when loading (only) 658 records into a grid (using IE 7 on a Windows XP laptop with 3G of memory). Please note that this table is editable, has 24 columns, and 5 of these columns have a special renderer and are edited with comboboxes loaded by other data stores. These secondary data stores should only be loaded once per column, but I'm sure they still slow down the load/render process. Like rajesh.vji, I don't see this pop-up in FireFox (14.0.1) or Chrome (21.0.1180.89).

Hopefully rajesh.vji can provide some more information. In addition to seeing some code, it would be good to know the version numbers of the browsers he's testing with, as well as the average number of rows he needs to load. Possibly an answer to his question will point me in the right direction. If not, I'll create another post (with more details) describing the problems I'm seeing.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Are you both using a buffered grid? i.e. Infinite grid

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

I am not currently using a buffered grid. Our project is still in development, and we are likely to switch to the 'infinite grid' approach in the future.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Id look into it now - its not hard to implement and will prevent dom bloat and provide a much better user experience with grids looking at huge numbers of records

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

We did try it briefly earlier in the project, but it disabled client-side column sorting so we backed off from it. It's on the to-do list, but of the 712 data sets we currently need to manage with this application, only 30 of have more than 500 rows (and 376 data sets have less than 100 rows). So it's not our highest priority item. Is there a pressing reason to switch to the infinite grid as soon as possible? Will it require architectural changes to our application?

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

Hi,
    If you want "true" column sorting with the infinite grid you will have to provide a server side sorting.
    User clicks on column to sort, you message the server, sort on the server and tell the grid data store to reload and get the first page.

If majority of your use cases have small data sets then fine stick with full data loads - we are delivering to tablet/mobile and desktop so we coded a solution that would work well across all devices i.e. server side sort with infinite grid (if our data set is small we detect this and revert to a full data set load and client side sort)

Anyway the issue is likely related to a javascript infinite loop

Sencha Premium Member
    Answers

Thank you for the sound advice. As I said, we're still in development and we plan on moving to an infinite grid approach somewhat later in development. I do like your idea of detecting data set size and reverting to a full load and client side sort for smaller data sets, but using the infinite grid for larger data sets.

I do have to say, however, that your suggestion that the issue is "likely related to a javascript infinite loop" is just wrong. The load/render process finishes normally in FireFox and Chrome, and it eventually finishes in IE -- you just have to click the "No" button in the "Stop running this script" window. So there's nothing "infinite" about that. My whole point of commenting on (hijacking?) rajesh.vji's thread was that the browser (among other things) can make a difference. IE (especially older versions) is relatively slow when creating large numbers of DOM objects. So now I've gone full circle and we're back to your good advice regarding using an infinite grid to prevent DOM bloat.

Thanks again for your advice (and time). I certainly appreciate it and I mean no disrespect. I'm just trying to provide another perspective.

Sencha Premium User
    Answers

No problem - I didn't think you were being disrespectful at all and thanks for clarifying the issue. I agree it isn't an infinite loop.
    What version of IE and what version of ExtJS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast