Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading content into iFrame

Ext User

Default Loading content into iFrame

Despite posting a similar question before, searching the entire forum and checking the documentation I cannot work out how to get the following simple behaviour to work. It is starting to get very frustrating!

All I want to do is load some initial content into an iframe within the center (content) panel. Then all the standard <a> tags links in the left hand panel should also load into the iframe replacing the content that is currently there.

Although I can get the layout to appear, I cannot get the content to load within the iframe nor can I target the links to the iframe.

If anyone can point me to or send me a simple working example of how to load content into a center iframe, I would be very grateful.

____________ JS Code ____________________

Design = function(){
    return {
    init : function(){
    layout = new YAHOO.ext.BorderLayout(document.body, {
    north: {
    split:false,
    initialSize: 72
    },
    south: {
    initialSize: 30
    },
    west: {
    initialSize: 180,
    titlebar: true,
    collapsible: true,
    minSize: 100,
    maxSize: 180,
    autoScroll: true

},
    center: {
    autoScroll: true

}
    });
    layout.beginUpdate();
    layout.add('north', new YAHOO.ext.ContentPanel('header', {fitToFrame:true}));
    layout.add('south', new YAHOO.ext.ContentPanel('footer', {fitToFrame:true}));
    layout.add('west', new YAHOO.ext.ContentPanel('nav', {fitToFrame:true}));
    layout.add('center', new YAHOO.ext.ContentPanel('content', {tag: 'iframe', src: 'home.asp'}));
    layout.endUpdate();

}

}

}();
    YAHOO.ext.EventManager.onDocumentReady(Design.init, Design, true);

________________ DIVs ___________________

<div id ="container">
    <div id="header" class="ylayout-inactive-content">Header goes here </div>
    <div id="nav" class="ylayout-inactive-content">Nav Links go here</div>
    <div id="content" class="ylayout-inactive-content">Replaciable content goes here</div>
    <div id="footer" class="ylayout-inactive-content">Footer goes here</div>
    </div>

Loading into an iframe?

This isn't yui-ext you are asking about, it's basic HTML development! Why not learn HTML before you try to mess with complex front ends?

Code:
    foo
    <iframe name="iframename></iframe>
    Also, setting the src attribute to a URL works.

Ext User

Animal

As moderator, perhaps you should read a post thoroughly before you shoot off with an rude, undeveloped and poorly thought out response - something you did last time too.

I know how to target an iframe as I've been working with HTML for nearly ten years. However, I am a designer and not a programmer, which is why I'm asking for help with getting the iFrame to load in the content div of this border layout. Once the iframe is present, then I should be able to target it with the sort of link you suggest (and which, by the way, I never felt the need to detail as it is a given).

Furthermore, you could be a little more constructive to people who are asking for help. like stating why you think the scr is an URL that does not work? The home.asp page is present, and I can manually load it using a function such as the one seen below.

Code:
    function loadHome() {
    	dashboardFrame = YAHOO.ext.DomHelper.append(document.body, {tag: 'iframe', frameBorder: 0, id: 'dashboardFrame', src: 'home.asp'});
        dashboardPanel = new YAHOO.ext.ContentPanel(dashboardFrame, {titlebar:false, fitToFrame:true, closable:false}); 
        layout.add('center', dashboardPanel);
    	}
    So answer me this - what is wrong with the code that I originally posted? Why is the home.asp page not loading in the iframe within the center area?

OK, I can't see anything wrong with that code.

Is the request to fill the iframe actually being sent?

When you bring up Firebug's "Net" tab, do you see it being GOT from the server.

When you bring up Firebug's "HTML" tab, and examine the DOM, what is the "src" attribute of the iframe?

Ext User

I don't think the request for the iframe is being sent. I know the iframe is not loading, as the page simply displays the default content of the div (some text).

I'm running Firebug 0.4.1 (latest version) within Firefox 2.0.1 and can't see a Net tab anywhere. In the DOM tab of the inspector the parentNode of the text is <div id="content" class="body body_bg_0 ylayout-active-content">. There is no mention of the iFrame in any of the tabs (Source, Style, Layout, Events and DOM)

My understanding is that the iFrame should be placed within this div... is that correct?

Ext User

By the way, I'm sorry if I flamed on a bit before. I've been struggling with this for hours and am getting rather frustrated. I'm almost tempted to recode the application in frames, because I know I can get it to work. Anyway, I wanted to say thank you - I do appreciate your help.

s'OK. We get so many non-coders who want to write a fully AJAXy RIA, asking people to do their work for them....

The latest version of Firebug is 1.0.

It is SUPERB. You can examine all HTTP requests, headers and content, and inspect and modify the running DOM structure. It's debugger interface is excellent too - better than the Visual Studio one for IE that I used to use.

Download that, and your task will be 100 times easier.

Ext User

Hi,

Perhaps my code is of some help. I load content into an iframe, though not by specifying a source url, but by filling it with the o.responseText. See my currently work-in-progress for an example:

http://www.trendon.nl:9999/xsn/index.php

Click the 'nieuwsbrief openen' button; the center panel of the dialog is an iframe that is loaded dynamically.

Hope this is of any help,

Cheers,

Seldon

Ext User

Hi Seldon,

Thanks for the response. Your application looks fantastic! Rather than having to dig around in the javascript, would you mind posting the code that loads the iframe with the o.responseText here in the discussion forum?

Thanks
    Tym

Quote Originally Posted by Animal
    The latest version of Firebug is 1.0.
    i was still using the current 0.4.1 too - just grabbed the 1.0beta.

OMFG this soooo cool, awesome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast