Thread: Element.mask() usage in IE when a Java applet is involved

Ext JS Premium Member

Default Element.mask() usage in IE when a Java applet is involved

Hi folks,

I have a PITA situation... one app I'm in charge of, unfortunately, uses a Java applet for image viewing. As I'm sure we all know, applets in IE are like select elements in that z-index doesn't work as it probably should (and certainly not how we'd like).

In Ext of course, we have Ext.useShims to deal with this when talking about floating elements like windows using the old iFrame shim trick. However, this doesn't seem to be the case when using Element.mask(). I assume a mask isn't a floating element, so it wouldn't.

So, what happens is that if you mask the parent element that the applet is nested in, the mask text (and the background fade) doesn't block the applet, the applet will cut the message off if it happens to be in the middle of the screen where the message appears... which of course it is in my case.

Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone know a way to deal with this? I can think of a number of "hackish" answers, but I'm hoping there's something simple that someone has figured out that I haven't... some clever CSS change that magically makes it work

Probably the "simplest" answer I came up with is to use a modal window styled to look like a mask, but with no close buttons (or any other buttons)... although I haven't tried yet, I should be able to make it look just like a mask, and since I already (thankfully!) have two methods, showPleaseWait() and hidePleaseWait(), that abstracts out the implementation of that message, I can deal with it pretty cleanly across the entire app.

But if anyone has any other insight, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Frank

I've had this problem before with flash but there was a config when using the swfObject wrapper class which thankfully was the fix for it

If you use an Ext.Window and make that modal, you say it sits on top of the applet no problem?

If so have a further look at its CSS and source code in the ext library (its not that complicated), and try to mimic that for your needs

Ext JS Premium Member

Interesting... I'm not using that wrapper unfortunately... this was an app that was converted to Ext, so there's some... umm... legacy ugliness let's say ... that I have to deal with.

Yes, a modal window works, and I've now gotten it to look pretty darned close to a mask now, so that will work as I suspected

The swfObject class is for use with flash swf objects and not with Java applets.

You didn't need to restyle a modal window just to overcome this issue, you could have just inspected the CSS styles applied to the modal window and mimic the style to the regular mask