PDA

View Full Version : [OPEN] docs.sencha.com down?

VDP
21 Jun 2018, 1:30 AM
seems like docs.sencha.com is down.. I cannot get to any docs.. somethings up?

Alessio Brunello
21 Jun 2018, 2:08 AM
No way to know what is going on... Bad day...:((

vbarzana
21 Jun 2018, 2:11 AM
Yep, still down, anybody have an idea what happened? Offline docs are also not available.

Alessio Brunello
21 Jun 2018, 2:20 AM
In sencha support platform seems to be loaded the extjs 6.6 final version, I hope they're updating the docs.

Hope Extjs 6.6 will be great.. or we will have problems >:)

massarotto.claudio
21 Jun 2018, 2:20 AM
No docs, no dev. This things shouldn't happen, expecially for a company with web-based purposes. It happens also during the last framework update.

Alessio Brunello
21 Jun 2018, 2:29 AM
Wait for the release 6.6.6 to extjs come back from heaven. \:D/

alexander.urban
22 Jun 2018, 12:49 AM
Is it still down or is down again?

This page isn’t working
docs.sencha.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 503

VDP
22 Jun 2018, 1:21 AM
Again :-( but because they released 6.6 they only deserve half an ass whooping today. :D

mrjari
22 Jun 2018, 1:26 AM
guys please fix documentation site, as we still receive HTTP ERROR 503 error visiting http://docs.sencha.com/

massarotto.claudio
22 Jun 2018, 2:27 AM
Down Again. =D> Good work =D>

22 Jun 2018, 5:48 AM
Still down as of 9:48 AM ET. Come on!!!

richardvd
22 Jun 2018, 7:17 AM
(sorry for multiposting but this topic is spread over at least three threads)

Here is a link to my Google Drive folder containing some offline docs:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3dobG1gKmVsOVdXNTZuc0J0WVk

Unzip and serve from an HTTP server for best results.

tomdchi
22 Jun 2018, 7:43 AM
Thanks for this!!

kkrumme
22 Jun 2018, 8:10 AM
No response from Sencha?

Outages are one thing, but keeping paying customers in the dark is another.

Jaraj
22 Jun 2018, 8:26 AM
Hello All,

The DOCS server went down this morning and we are currently working on getting it back online. I will keep you posted here with the status as soon as I get an update.

Regards,
Joe

Sencha Support

kkrumme
22 Jun 2018, 8:29 AM
Hello All,

The DOCS server went down this morning and we are currently working on getting it back online. I will keep you posted here with the status as soon as I get an update.

Regards,
Joe

Sencha Support

This thread started well over 24 hours ago, so the issue definitely did not start this morning. It's also somewhat frustrating that we received no public response until you started receiving support calls.

Based on various other threads in this forum, this seems to be a recurring problem. Can we get some kind of reassurance that this problem will go away in the future?

Jaraj
22 Jun 2018, 8:53 AM
The server went down twice yesterday and we'd managed to get it back online by afternoon. Unfortunately, it went down again today. Needless to say, we are looking into it and are trying to fix the problem so it does not occur again. I am still awaiting an update on the current status. I will keep this thread posted once I know more about this.

Regards,
Joe

Jaraj
22 Jun 2018, 9:06 AM
The extremely high level of interest in 6.6 took down our documentation servers.  We are aware of the issue and have been actively working it all morning.  We hope to have it fixed within the next hour.  We will provide updates as they become available.

Regards,
Joe

Sencha Support

kkrumme
22 Jun 2018, 9:34 AM
The extremely high level of interest in 6.6 took down our documentation servers.

That is rich 😂 (http://www.dictionary.com/e/emoji/face-with-tears-of-joy-emoji)

Jaraj
22 Jun 2018, 11:30 AM
Sustained traffic has made it difficult to bring up new servers. We are temporarily redirecting docs.sencha.com traffic while we pursue two other options simultaneously to get things back up ASAP. We will provide another update soon.

Regards,
Joe

Sencha Support

greg.barry
22 Jun 2018, 12:17 PM
Ha! That's ridiculous. The docs are broken because no one is left that knows how to release products.

mitchellsimoens
22 Jun 2018, 12:31 PM
The extremely high level of interest in 6.6 took down our documentation servers.  We are aware of the issue and have been actively working it all morning.  We hope to have it fixed within the next hour.  We will provide updates as they become available.

Regards,
Joe

Sencha Support

Oh man that's funny. I did try not to be a jerk to Sencha but what a ridiculous response. Knowing the architecture of the servers, downloads of Ext JS even from the Support Portal and Fiddle do not touch the API Docs at all.

High level of interest? AWS and ElasticBeanstalk with min of 2 instances and max of 4 is more than capable to load some static pages hosted by Apache.

So this is a flat out lie.

kkrumme
22 Jun 2018, 1:37 PM
Oh man that's funny. I did try not to be a jerk to Sencha but what a ridiculous response. Knowing the architecture of the servers, downloads of Ext JS even from the Support Portal and Fiddle do not touch the API Docs at all.

High level of interest? AWS and ElasticBeanstalk with min of 2 instances and max of 4 is more than capable to load some static pages hosted by Apache.

So this is a flat out lie.

I was just about to post a similar reply. I do not, nor does anybody else in the world, appreciate these half-baked, dishonest explanations. We're paying customers. We're the businesses and developers that give your product any value.

The least you could do is spend a little extra time explaining what the problem is, what you're doing to solve it, and what you're doing to prevent it from happening again.

Transparency is one thing, but dishonesty is another. I seriously hope not to experience this kind of support again in the future.

kkrumme
22 Jun 2018, 1:40 PM
Since this thread is getting such high visibility...

The Sencha documentation website has been steadily degrading in quality with each new ExtJS release.

Can we expect any kind of improvement or overhaul to the look and feel, search bar, and member list?

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 5:20 AM
Understandably I know this is frustrating to see the docs go down for us too. We had a huge demand come in on our docs instances come in because of the release. It was larger than we expected. And the rsync copy to the new instances put everything at it heels.

Although we know it's easy to spin up new instances but the rsyncing was to slow and caused us some issues on our staging service where we test our docs. So to solve this we moved the docs content to the S3, which is better at hosting static content. So at the end of the day, this solved our huge demand for our services that are coming in. We do care greatly about how well we serve our customers at Idera with the Sencha products and are pushing harder to do better. Now that we have the resources on s3 we don't have to worry about single beanstalk instances going down.

Feel free to ping me with any problems on the docs directly anytime as I'll see to it they get fixed asap. We want to make it better and are constantly looking for ways to improve our systems.

Thanks for your feedback and concern on the docs going down, we appreciate that you care.

Thanks,
Brandon Donnelson
Sencha Product Architect

mitchellsimoens
23 Jun 2018, 8:30 AM
Saying that S3 is better at hosting static pages is incorrect. It’s easier but no better. rsync has benefits and that’s why it was chosen. What was there had load balancing and just like S3 of course you can put CloudFront in front of it. So now copying to S3, you cannot do simple updates like with rsync only deploying what needs to be deployed.

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 8:43 AM
I don't want to split hairs here. Although answer your other question about syncing to a bucket, you can sync incrementally all the same to an s3 bucket. Using a call like 'aws sync ./docs s3://bucket' will do the job. Point is the docs are up with out problems now.

mitchellsimoens
23 Jun 2018, 8:47 AM
Just tried that command, invalid but that’s because you forgot the s3 part :) so you can do a rsync like command, great. The only thing s3 affords you is you don’t have to worry about the infrastructure behind it which sounds good for you now without IT people.

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 8:51 AM
It looks like your now trolling the issue, please stop, we've got the docs fixed.

mitchellsimoens
23 Jun 2018, 9:08 AM
Not trolling, making sure you’re honest.

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 9:11 AM
From what it looks like your from another front end company trolling our company. Please stop.

mitchellsimoens
23 Jun 2018, 9:17 AM
No, I’m a customer of yours. When I see you say it’s because of high interest so there was an increase traffic to your api docs when it turns out it was a failed deployment because of the rsync failing, yes. I’m unhappy when you lie to a customer. Yes, my current title is a frontend engineer and yours is a gxt support engineer (per your forum sig)... yet we both know we both have done and are doing much more than our current job titles or else you wouldn’t be the one fixing an IT problem. So you please stop.

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 9:34 AM
That's fair to say, I appreciate your concern. To help with that confusion, I wear many hats at times to help out. I'm a product architect for Idera for the GXT Product. I cover the support engineer position too. And I help the other teams when they are in a bind, such as IT. I leave my forum signature on for the GXT customer I work with most of the time. Does that help clear it up for you?

Would this help?

Brandon Donnelson
Idera Product Architect &
GXT Support Engineer &
Customer Care &
Any help you need :)

mitchellsimoens
23 Jun 2018, 9:40 AM
I don’t care what your signature says or your current title is, titles don’t mean much. I’m currently doing lots of DevOps stuff which does but doesn’t match my title, it simply doesn’t matter.

For the docs, all you had to say is you were doing a deployment, that process failed which caused the docs to go down. We looked at the current infrastructure for the docs and we didn’t like it and took us a little bit to change this into something that we feel more comfortable with. That’s fully understandable and while I think the old way is just fine, it’s your guy’s boat so it’s your decision to change anything. Just don’t make up an excuse, we all know tech fails and that’s fine. Say your redoing the infrastrucutew and you hope to get it done by the end of the day and apologize for the time it’s taking. Done, everyone would understand and be pretty happy.

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 9:59 AM
I wasn't aiming to make excuses. We are at fault with a bad choice here, I admit it for sure. That's how we can improve quickly. But we learn from them and will make it better. So the services went down because of incoming requests. And to compensate, since we didn't have auto-scaling configured, we starting some new instances which were fine, except we had a shortcoming. When a new instance starts, it has to rsync over > 70GB (I didn't record the a to but saw some large numbers) of data to the instance, well we started several and it swamped the server it was originating from. So this was our weak link. So we could see this was going to take all day, so to solve it, we were hoping for a faster fix by moving it to S3. I'm not leading the IT team, so I can't say which direction they will choose, but suffice to say, they will aim in a direction that provides better scaling. At the end of the day, we want what you want, high reliability. I apologize I misread you too. I can appreciate your unhappiness with how things went and want to reiterate the leadership team plans on fixing and making it better for everybody.

-Brandon

mitchellsimoens
23 Jun 2018, 10:11 AM
Fantastic, thank you Brandon. I know I’m an ex-employee and people will always take my critics in a certain light that I want to harm Sencha but that’s not true. I didn’t even get laid off, I left on my own free will and I spent a decade with Ext JS and have friends still working at Sencha. My aim isn’t to hurt Sencha but I also want to be treated fairly. I help here on the forum and SO, I provide overrides for many bugs I file. If I wanna ted to hurt Sencha, I wouldn’t be helping like that. Plus, I was critical of Sencha while working at Sencha because I didn’t agree with decisions but that was all internal, now I don’t have a Sencha internal but people cannot be surprised I’m still the same person as I was before.

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 10:17 AM
Thanks Mitch. I appreciate the feedback. And again, I apologize for misreading you and any confusion in the reponses. And thank you for all your help in the forums! Thanks for the support. I figure it's great to have concerns it tells me you care. I often misread the context so I have to rebase what I'm thinking so I can understand it better. Thanks for clarifying it.

-Brandon

mitchellsimoens
23 Jun 2018, 10:25 AM
Lol, love the “rebase” term use :)

richardvd
23 Jun 2018, 12:00 PM
Brandon, thanks for coming back to the forum. I have some questions about the Docs site:

1. Can you fix HTTPS too?
I was wondering why docs were still down for me until I read Mitchell's posting where he pointed out that it's HTTP only now. Also links from Google etc. are still down because of this.

2. Ext JS 6.5.3 on the docs site must be a different build from the Ext JS 6.5.3.57 download on the Support page. For example http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.5.3/classic/src/Summary.js.html contains 6.6.0 code that is not in the same file in the official 6.5.3 download. This is confusing, can you fix it?

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 12:09 PM
Good questions.

Regarding #1, I'll check on the https configuration and get back to you.

Regarding #2, I'll check on why the 6.6 docs are in the place of the 6.5.3.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll see what I can do. At worst, I'll start tracking this and get back Monday PDT time.

Thanks,
Brandon

branflake2267
23 Jun 2018, 12:24 PM
Update. I'm now tracking it and scheduling it for Monday first thing (PDT time). I'll come back and update this forum on progress. This has been escalated.

Thanks!
Brandon

Alessio Brunello
24 Jun 2018, 11:16 PM
Sencha docs are down again :)) what is going on?

Alessio Brunello
24 Jun 2018, 11:28 PM
Since this thread is getting such high visibility...

The Sencha documentation website has been steadily degrading in quality with each new ExtJS release.

Can we expect any kind of improvement or overhaul to the look and feel, search bar, and member list?

Up for this comment, docs are really really bad with the last releases

agarberi
24 Jun 2018, 11:55 PM
Sencha docs are down again :)) what is going on?
Try using HTTP instead of HTTPS, it should work.

gava100
25 Jun 2018, 6:15 AM
Yep, facing the same problem. Any feedback when it will be back up?

RB_S
25 Jun 2018, 7:04 AM
Hi guys

I can't access documentation for Ext JS 4.2.6 (or 4.2.5); I'm getting 404 Not Found — it's still listed in the documentation list.

https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.6/
http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.6/

I'm already using offline docs for 6.6 but can't find any for 4.2.6 — I've been using online documentation for 4 out of convenience but, after the last few days, think it's safer to use offline docs.

Does anyone know if I can get offline docs for 4.2.6?

Thanks. Reece

branflake2267
25 Jun 2018, 8:25 AM
Thanks for reporting! We're working through the issues now. We'll come back and update on progress.

Thanks,
Brandon

branflake2267
25 Jun 2018, 9:34 AM
Update... https://docs.sencha.com/ (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.sencha.com/&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1530033971100000&usg=AFQjCNHHNeiHhY3ZBaqOmVrgtch8YXbNqQ) SSL is up and running.

Regarding the other issues where the docs aren't showing up. The team is working on it now. We had missed the .php file extensions for the index pages and fixing that now.

- Brandon

kkrumme
25 Jun 2018, 10:20 AM
Update... https://docs.sencha.com/ (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.sencha.com/&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1530033971100000&usg=AFQjCNHHNeiHhY3ZBaqOmVrgtch8YXbNqQ) SSL is up and running.

Regarding the other issues where the docs aren't showing up. The team is working on it now. We had missed the .php file extensions for the index pages and fixing that now.

- Brandon

How many outages have their been in the past week? How many different things went wrong that caused those outages? How many different people were forced to scramble to fix this issue? How many customers suffered productivity losses because of this?

The docs are up at the time of this posting. I feel that it's important we keep this conversation going so that we have a better idea of what might be going on when the docs inevitably go down again.

mitchellsimoens
25 Jun 2018, 10:23 AM
I think transitioning to something new (their move to S3) when a building is on fire (the docs being down) there will inevitably be things that are missed like HTTPS and missing versions. I would like to think these would have been caught if they were able to plan the transition. Not giving them a pass since people (including myself) rely on the api docs (altho I fall back on the source) but I can understand these hiccups too.

branflake2267
25 Jun 2018, 10:42 AM
Kkrume, good point. We feel your pain too and it's affecting our productivity as well. That said, we're making the corrections now. The executive team has noticed and we're working on solutions to prevent issues like this in the future. We noticed the failures which culminated in an outage when we tried to repair it. It was one of those events that we very much hate to see happen, but we learn fast, and will work through it as fast as we can.

Mitch is right, we missed things at the end of Friday. We forgot about the older docs formats that were rendered with JsDuck and uses php for the index pages. The new docs renderer takes markdown and spits out html extensions. We're also looking into some of the apache redirects to make sure we have the landing pages all correct.

The leadership team takes these events seriously. We know how it affects the loss of productivity. Not only that, it stings internally as well. So we don't want this to happen again either. I'll update more as they flush out the plan to build in redundancies.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Brandon

branflake2267
25 Jun 2018, 8:11 PM
Just a heads up. The redirects have been fixed and the older doc links have been fixed. If you noticed something odd let me know and we will get right on it. Thanks for everybody's feedback!

Thanks,
Brandon

branflake2267
27 Jun 2018, 9:24 AM
Update... We've found some more php links, and fixing that now with the older versions.