PDA

View Full Version : [OPEN] Feature request: font package

richardvd
18 May 2017, 3:28 AM
The Google Web Fonts integration is great. What I would like to see added to Themer is the option to turn a Google Web Font into a local Ext package (and add it to the requires array of the current theme's package.json). Adding it to the current theme would also be fine, as long as everything becomes local.

That would remove the dependency on a working internet connection when running the themed app. Currently, even in production mode it will download the font files and CSS from Google. Some apps are running on a closed network without full internet access.

Of course it's currently already possible to do with the help of Localfont (http://localfont.com) and a lot of handwork, but I think it would be very convenient for a lot of users if this could be automated.

dan.buhrman
18 May 2017, 4:08 PM
Hmm, this is an interesting one. We do have a feature planned for the next release allowing Themer to support local and (possibly) non-Google remote fonts, but have never thought about downloading remote fonts and making them local...

No promises, but I may take a stab at getting this idea in with that feature. Font's in general are kind of a rabbit hole (multiple files for the same font that may have different charsets, styles, weights, or formats...). Either way, I feel we definitely will iterate on fonts in Themer and get this feature in eventually!

Thanks so much for the suggestion!! :D