PDA

View Full Version : Themer saves customizations in a single file

anselmtmcclain
16 Sep 2016, 1:59 PM
Hi -

I see that Themer saves the customizations you make in a single file - save.scss - as opposed to what I thought was the desired best practice of setting variable overrides within files that mirror the component class structure (e.g. how the themes packaged with the SDK do it).

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind this, as we had previously been taking care to follow the file structure (even if we only had a single var to set). Clearly keeping a list of customized vars in one file is simpler to scan and review, but we had assumed there might be other important reasons to match the file structure when it came to theme overrides, dependencies, etc.

It does seem important that the Themer tool build themes that are then maintainable outside of the tool, or generally interop with other themes, if at all possible.

Thanks! - ATM

dan.buhrman
19 Sep 2016, 7:28 AM
Hi -

I see that Themer saves the customizations you make in a single file - save.scss - as opposed to what I thought was the desired best practice of setting variable overrides within files that mirror the component class structure (e.g. how the themes packaged with the SDK do it).

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind this, as we had previously been taking care to follow the file structure (even if we only had a single var to set). Clearly keeping a list of customized vars in one file is simpler to scan and review, but we had assumed there might be other important reasons to match the file structure when it came to theme overrides, dependencies, etc.

It does seem important that the Themer tool build themes that are then maintainable outside of the tool, or generally interop with other themes, if at all possible.

Thanks! - ATM

I agree it's not very maintainable to have a single massive file of SASS variables. There are a few technical challenges we need to solve first, but definitely have plans to make Themer save variables according to our design best practices.