PDA

View Full Version : Search shows password protected fiddles in result

llamerr
26 Jul 2016, 9:04 AM
Search shows password protected fiddles in result. I don't think this make any sense. If I have password for some fiddle, it means I know already what I'm looking for and I have direct link to that fiddle and I won't search in with search. And if I don't have password for some fiddle I don't want to see them in search results.

mitchellsimoens
26 Jul 2016, 9:08 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't show password protected fiddles in the result. Password protection just disallows viewing the fiddle when loading, searching and showing those still is a valid thing. I have tons of fiddles that have password protection that I don't keep direct links.

There is a separate option that allows you to not have the fiddle show in the results.

llamerr
26 Jul 2016, 11:18 AM
Password protection just disallows viewing the fiddle when loading

Exactly. So I trying to open some fiddle and it shows me popup that asks for password. I click cancel, but all my search results are already dismissed and I need go to search one more time and wait while search works (I know it should be updated with faster search soon, but for now it's still an issue)

searching and showing those still is a valid thing
I don't understand why it's valid? Ok I see there is a fiddle, but I can't use it. So what purpose does it serve for me? It's like showing cool framework which you forbidden to use and which you can't buy.

There is a separate option that allows you to not have the fiddle show in the results.
If there's an option to set my search preferences to not show password protected fiddles, that of course solves an issue completely. But I don't see that option in advanced search - or is it somewhere else?

mitchellsimoens
26 Jul 2016, 11:46 AM
Exactly. So I trying to open some fiddle and it shows me popup that asks for password. I click cancel, but all my search results are already dismissed and I need go to search one more time and wait while search works (I know it should be updated with faster search soon, but for now it's still an issue)

Yea, the perf of search is definitely a known thing. The search that powers the forum search can be better utilized but that's a project that keeps getting pushed back for higher priority things.

I don't understand why it's valid? Ok I see there is a fiddle, but I can't use it. So what purpose does it serve for me? It's like showing cool framework which you forbidden to use and which you can't buy.

Just like I mentioned before, I have many fiddles that are password protected so seeing them in the list (the only list that currently exists) is required. One way to see the search results without searching again is clicking "advanced" and then cancel on that form that shows over the search results.

If there's an option to set my search preferences to not show password protected fiddles, that of course solves an issue completely. But I don't see that option in advanced search - or is it somewhere else?

In fiddle 1 there isn't a concept of user prefs and is something being planned for a dot release in fiddle 2. Fiddle 2 is being worked on atm but prefs will come after the GA as Fiddle 2 has many things changed that need to get out first. But adding an icon to show password is set on a search result could be added easily. The search result listing UI is improved in Fiddle 2 where it's not some floating list so getting back to search results is as simple as clicking on the Search menu item.

llamerr
26 Jul 2016, 11:46 AM
That can be solved by marking password protected fiddles with some gray background or lock icon or something like that. But since you mentioned that it `disallows viewing the fiddle when loading` I'm not sure if that property (locked/not locked) is available upon search or only when fiddle is loaded...

llamerr
26 Jul 2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks for response. If it's going to be improved in Fiddle2 I think I can wait for that.

mitchellsimoens
26 Jul 2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks for response. If it's going to be improved in Fiddle2 I think I can wait for that.

Currently targeting mid to late September for a testing/beta environment deployment with a production deployment within 6 weeks if all goes well.