PDA

View Full Version : [FIXED] Can't get this tool to work in Windows

patrickrs
20 Jul 2015, 5:08 AM
I've installed (and uninstalled) this tool over and over, trying to cajole it into working. Here's what I've experienced:

When it works, I see the three loading dots and then the home screen that tells me I haven't connected any apps.

None of the steps Sencha defines succeeded in connecting my app (created by and run from the latest version of Sencha Cmd, running on port 1841)...neither the bookmarklet, nor adding code to my app.

Changing the port on Sencha Inspector caused it to show a white screen, with no way to change the port back.
Subsequent installs no longer created a Sencha folder in my users/user/AppData/Local folder.
I can't even get the app to run anymore. It opens, shows a white screen, and never responds. Uninstalling and reinstalling no longer resets the app.
I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1. 64 bit, 32GB RAM, powerful video card with plenty of VRAM. I've also tried running the app with and without admin privileges.

arthurakay
20 Jul 2015, 9:56 AM
I've installed (and uninstalled) this tool over and over, trying to cajole it into working. Here's what I've experienced:

When it works, I see the three loading dots and then the home screen that tells me I haven't connected any apps.

Ok, so far so good :-)

Let me take the rest of your issues out of order:

Changing the port on Sencha Inspector caused it to show a white screen, with no way to change the port back.

By default, Sencha Inspector attempts to run on port 3000. If you changed that port number to something else and then restarted, hitting a blank screen might indicate that you chose a port on which something was already running.

As you note, at that point you can't change it back via the interface... but you can find the settings file and change it manually. On Windows, this will be located here:

- C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Sencha\Inspector\

I can't even get the app to run anymore. It opens, shows a white screen, and never responds. Uninstalling and reinstalling no longer resets the app.

Hopefully resetting your port number will fix that. You are correct in that uninstall/reinstall would not fix this because we don't reinstall/uninstall the settings file.

Subsequent installs no longer created a Sencha folder in my users/user/AppData/Local folder.

Indeed, see my prior comment.

-----

None of the steps Sencha defines succeeded in connecting my app (created by and run from the latest version of Sencha Cmd, running on port 1841)...neither the bookmarklet, nor adding code to my app.

Interesting. Do you hit any errors in the "connected" app's JS console? What browser is the "connected" app running in?

I really appreciate your time in helping us debug the problems on your end!

patrickrs
20 Jul 2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the reply. I had previously found that tip to reset the port number using the settings file. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. The app opens, but shows a white screen with no controls or information.I have tried both Chrome (v.43.x) and Firefox (38.0.1). I always run my app with no errors or warnings (it's a theming app, so I have full control of it), so no, there were no JS errors.

Since the app did, at one time, open, can you point me to the directories it's installed into? Maybe a completely clean install will at least get me back to square one.

I know there is a folder in C:\Users\*myname*\AppData\Roaming, the directory you mention above, and Program Files. Is there anything else the app leaves behind when uninstalling?

Lastly, does this app need to be installed in a particular place? I have it on my D: drive, though I have also tried installing it in the default location.

arthurakay
20 Jul 2015, 11:06 AM
Since the app did, at one time, open, can you point me to the directories it's installed into? Maybe a completely clean install will at least get me back to square one.

I know there is a folder in C:\Users\*myname*\AppData\Roaming, the directory you mention above, and Program Files. Is there anything else the app leaves behind when uninstalling?

Lastly, does this app need to be installed in a particular place? I have it on my D: drive, though I have also tried installing it in the default location.

The location of the settings files should be the only other place we add something to the filesystem -- other than (obviously) the installation directory you choose during the installation process.

Assuming you have used the "uninstaller", everything else should be removed from your system.

You should be able to install the application whereever you want -- I don't think putting it on your D:\ drive would matter.

Thanks for the reply. I had previously found that tip to reset the port number using the settings file. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. The app opens, but shows a white screen with no controls or information.

Try deleting the settings file completely. We re-create one if it's missing. Maybe the JSON formatting got bungled along the way, which would throw an error for us.

I have tried both Chrome (v.43.x) and Firefox (38.0.1). I always run my app with no errors or warnings (it's a theming app, so I have full control of it), so no, there were no JS errors.

Again, very interesting. Can you see any requests made to the localhost in your network tab for either (1) inspector.js, or (2) any websocket connections?

patrickrs
21 Jul 2015, 4:16 AM
I uninstalled again, deleting all settings files. When I opened the app (after restarting the laptop), it remained blank white. It didn't recreate the settings file, possibly because though the program opened, it technically didn't start.I checked my network traffic; there are no entries matching the ones you specified. I'm about to try Inspector on my Mac; I'll let you know the results.

arthurakay
21 Jul 2015, 4:32 AM
I uninstalled again, deleting all settings files. When I opened the app (after restarting the laptop), it remained blank white. It didn't recreate the settings file, possibly because though the program opened, it technically didn't start.I checked my network traffic; there are no entries matching the ones you specified. I'm about to try Inspector on my Mac; I'll let you know the results.

Ugh, yea something is totally failing... and with no error messages, I can only speculate as to what the problem might be. Literally the first thing Inspector does is read your settings file, and it doesn't even sound like it's getting that far.

The only other possibility I can think of is that some process (e.g. node.js) has become a zombie and is not allowing the app to resume normal function. I might suggest a full uninstall and system restart, but you've probably already tried that.

Yes, please try on Mac :D

patrickrs
21 Jul 2015, 9:27 AM
Yes, I tried just about every variation of uninstalling and reinstalling. The app flat won't work now, no matter what I try. (Meaning, it opens to a white screen and is unresponsive).I have used other Node.js programs on my laptop, including Gulp, so if there is something I can do to ensure Node is not running into conflicts, I'd be willing to try it.

I just tried it on my Mac, with even less success! I have an older Mac, but it is running OS X and has v. 8 of the JVM. The installer creates a Sencha Inspector directory in Applications, but inside are just the license text file and the uninstaller. There is no way to execute the program. When I asked the installer to create a shortcut in the Dock, it created a generic question mark icon that does not launch the application.

patrickrs
30 Jul 2015, 7:47 AM
I finally got the tool to work. As I installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled Inspector, my system placed the important 'user.settings' file in two different locations (though I'm not sure why).

One location was on my network drive, the other was on my C: drive. The settings file on the network drive is evidently the one Inspector preferred to use.When I examined that file, I saw that the port was set to an empty string.

When I manually updated the port setting to the default 3000, Inspector worked exactly as advertised, even though both my codebase and my version of Sencha Cmd pre-dated Ext JS 6. Naturally, I didn't get any of the theming benefits, but that's to be expected in this use case.

I still can't Inspector to install on my older Mac, but this is a big step forward. Thanks to Arthur for the troubleshooting help...