PDA

View Full Version : Ext Road Map

brian.moeskau
13 Feb 2008, 2:03 PM
We want to provide some guidance as to what's coming up, so we've put together a road map (http://extjs.com/products/extjs/roadmap.php). Bear in mind that this does not list every single detail that we have planned, and certainly we'll think of things as we go. This road map also does not include maintenance releases. However, it should give you a general idea of where we're headed this year. If you have any thoughts about it, feel free to let us know here.

cocorossello
13 Feb 2008, 2:11 PM
Thx :D

SeaSharp2
13 Feb 2008, 3:50 PM
Yo great news, my favourites are...

Browser history support
Comet/Bayeux support
FileUpload field
Integrated client-server data binding/marshaling for Ext components

But so many questions...

1 - There has been mention of a rework to events to reduce memory usage on IE. Will this be included with one of the 2008 releases?

2 - The existing Ext menu component doesn

brian.moeskau
13 Feb 2008, 4:20 PM
[QUOTE=SeaSharp2;123565]
1 - There has been mention of a rework to events to reduce memory usage on IE. Will this be included with one of the 2008 releases?

2 - The existing Ext menu component doesn

lucian_mateescu
13 Feb 2008, 11:43 PM
I think too that tri-state checkbox should be avaiable.

mdissel
14 Feb 2008, 12:00 AM
My wish list contains also the tri-state/radio group, but also a combobox with inline store/data (see community version). And in general all components should support to be created using xtype json..

kenshin
14 Feb 2008, 12:23 AM
Very very interesting!

I can't waint: Slider component and FileUpload field

Animal
14 Feb 2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks for that roadmap. It looks exciting, and I'm sure it will keep Ext ahead of its competitors.

One thing I really would like is for drag/drop enabled controls to implement Ext.form.FormField's interface.

This would mean right now, being able to use an Ext.tree.TreePanel as an input field. It would have a hidden field which would reflect its state serialized in some specifiable way.

After all, drag/drop controls are a way of specifying data to be sent back to the server, they are essentially input fields. Right now, we have to add listeners to the submit process, and "interfere" in some way to collect the serialized value, and add an extra parameter to the form submit.

Also, extend DataView (or possibly, all Store backed controls) to automatically enable drag/drop using a scheme like the DDView UX where Ext.data.Records are moved or copied between instances. And this should implement Ext.form.FormField too, and maintain a hidden field. Again this is used to assemble data to be submitted to the server. It is an input field.

vtswingkid
14 Feb 2008, 11:57 AM
I second the DnD. :)

dantheman
14 Feb 2008, 1:41 PM
A very welcome communication!

I'm especially enthused by the file-upload, checkbox and multi-select work.

Thanks to the whole Ext team for taking the time to put this down, and
having the discipline to balance cool new features with deep enhancement.
--dan

stever
14 Feb 2008, 5:02 PM
I think too that tri-state checkbox should be avaiable.

Me too...

And for the combo that takes a store inline, I have a bug fix for that, I'll try and update it...

mdissel
15 Feb 2008, 4:51 AM
And for the combo that takes a store inline, I have a bug fix for that, I'll try and update it...

And/or support for xtype /json based declaration of the store

Zyclops
15 Feb 2008, 11:20 PM
In addition to plugins and examples tying into existing server frameworks, we'll also be introducing our own integrated transport mechanism that will allow binding and marshaling of data transparently between Ext components and your back end of choice.

I thought that ExtJS already handled marshaling of data using the stores easily, so what did you mean by "our own integrated transport mechanism"?

brian.moeskau
16 Feb 2008, 7:55 AM
Proxies currently help you with retrieving data, but you still need DWR, AjaxPro, etc. to make RPC calls. We plan to provide a native solution that will sync data both ways between your back end and your controls automatically and transparently (as an option -- other RPC solutions will still be supported too). More details will come out later once we actually start working on it.

dearsina
19 Feb 2008, 5:22 AM
Brian, what exactly do you mean by "Full REST support"? You mean PUT and DELETE support?

pdousa
22 Feb 2008, 7:12 AM
Hi,

thanks for the roadmap! I'm glad we can now plan around Ext releases.

We are currently transforming desktop-based administration console for our server product into web-based one, built on top of Ext. The app has about a hundred screens / dialogs, mostly with forms and grids. We reached the point when we're confident that Ext is the right javascript framework, and will be starting another two similar projects soon.

Roadmap favorites:
- checkbox/radio group, slider, fileupload
- Comet
- charting
- server integration

Biggest wish not on roadmap: LiveGrid (grid paging by scrollbar). Community version is good, but tight integration into Ext would make the framework even better. Our use-case: displaying server logs in real time. With paging it seems very odd. LiveGrid (and Comet for realtime data) would make it as good as in desktop app (or better - many people don't believe me it's possible with web technologies;)). Also any other grid with lot of data feels much more natural with just scrollbar than with paging controls.

Thanks for considering LiveGrid.:)

Confused
22 Feb 2008, 8:55 AM
I would have to agree with pdousa with regards to LiveGrid support in a future release of Ext. What I would like to add is the ability to have a local cache of all the records in the store or to pull a subset of records from the server in each page.

DeeZ
23 Feb 2008, 5:51 AM
Hi,

Do you plan to support RTL languages too ? (right to left) When 2.1 ? 2.2 ? 3.0 ? After ?

Thanks.

harley.333
25 Feb 2008, 7:42 PM
I have to agree that the absence of LiveGrid is very disappointing. The community effort is a huge step in the right direction. The Ext team's familiarity with the Ext framework could probably polish off the missing pieces in a short time.

BTW, Ext is awesome and Jack's steps towards Air is fantastic.

vanidoso
1 Mar 2008, 7:34 AM
As I am developing my first ExtJS application, with quite a bit of help of these forums/learn resources, I am reaching the point where charting (probably Flash) is my "next big thing".

I see that for 3.0 there is a "Flash Charting API" planned, can you elaborate on that?, I was thinking of going with FusionCharts that seems rather independent of framework.
Would I benefit just waiting for Flash Charting improvements in future versions of ExtJs?

Thanks.

Mango_lier
1 Mar 2008, 9:16 AM
Any chance of TreeGrid hybrid control in the pipeline?

mxu
12 Mar 2008, 11:19 AM
we are going to adapt Ext JS as the enterprise JS lib.
what I am expect most is the performance enhancement to short event response time.
the page loading time is not an issue at all even Ext JS is quite sizable, but event response time is quite slow. e.g.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/GaPBrowser_belta/callGaPBrowser2.cgi?aid=2839&bin=98
also, it would be greater if there are some suggestion/hints on enhancing Ext JS response.

MaximGB
12 Mar 2008, 11:37 AM
Pleeeeease, add the "refactor Ext.form package" and "publish a form field requirements check list" to your road map. IMO it's hard to create custom error prone form fields with current Ext.form codebase.

cable
16 Mar 2008, 11:53 AM
As I am developing my first ExtJS application, with quite a bit of help of these forums/learn resources, I am reaching the point where charting (probably Flash) is my "next big thing".

I see that for 3.0 there is a "Flash Charting API" planned, can you elaborate on that?, I was thinking of going with FusionCharts that seems rather independent of framework.
Would I benefit just waiting for Flash Charting improvements in future versions of ExtJs?

Thanks.

Personally I would prefer something like Jquery's FLOT plugin.

site - http://code.google.com/p/flot/
examples - http://people.iola.dk/olau/flot/examples/

fallenrayne
16 Mar 2008, 12:26 PM
Something like Flot would be amazing. I much prefer the all JavaScript idea over using Flash to build it. I know that with the project I am currently on there is absolutely no way we would ever get to use Flash to build the charts and we build a decent amount of charts right now (using an older all JavaScript solution that I can't seem to find the info for).

dantheman
17 Mar 2008, 1:48 PM
Flot rocks absolutely.

--dan

bearmonger
18 Mar 2008, 3:44 AM
The road map looks great but I'm surprised at the flash graphs too. I work mainly in corporate environments and there is just no way flash charts would get a look in. I thought one of the philosophies of ext was no requirement to have any plugins otherwise why not go all Flex/Flash, Silverlight or Applet? Especially as charts in javascript are doable - there are a couple of good implementations out there (http://www.ejschart.com/).

Also, I'm surprised not to see an easier skinning implementation - I think skinning is one of the big weak points with Ext at the moment.

Don't mean to sound negative but I think the points are valid...

shamsian
20 Mar 2008, 12:25 AM
1) Can not use the tab panel until you add the "Browser history support". Please add support ASAP.
2) I also vote for a tri-state checkbox

wm003
20 Mar 2008, 1:01 AM
An Ext-Flot Version would be really nice in ADDITION to the planned Flash-support.
Just because you can create much nicer animated graphs in flash...
...anyway, i like the chart functions in http://spreadsheets.google.com very much and they seem to be javascript only and also support animation of graph-parts (e.g. a pie-part is moving out of a pie when hovering, its part-outline is highlighted, ...)

kenshin
21 Mar 2008, 3:34 AM
I completly agree with FLOT support!!!

stever
21 Mar 2008, 2:46 PM
I completly agree with FLOT support!!!

I'd rather have a well thought out API with plug in support for various graphing engines (FusionCharts, FLOT, Google Charts, etc.)

vivid-planet
28 Mar 2008, 3:27 AM
Thanks for the roadmap.

I'm a bit disappointed that no LiveGrid is on this list :(

mdissel
28 Mar 2008, 3:45 AM
When will be started with the 2.1 release or better when can we expect the first bits in svn?

Thanks
Marco

Zyclops
16 Apr 2008, 7:20 PM
I'm currently developing an interface from the store to server side and I'm wondering if you guys have a basic idea on how your going to develop your full rest support and whether that full rest support applies to the stores as well.

i.e. If we setup a store to be restful will it automatically use the appropriate http verbs at a particular url?

fangzhouxing
16 Apr 2008, 11:15 PM
I am also very curious to know something of the REST support in the coming release.

patspam
18 Apr 2008, 2:07 AM
Fantastic! Huge kudos to Jack and the team.

re: Browser history support - not sure if you guys are planning on rolling your own solution (and I'm sure it'll rock if you do) but thought it was worth mentioning that Brian Dillard of Really Simple History (http://code.google.com/p/reallysimplehistory/) just blogged on AgileAjax (http://blogs.pathf.com/agileajax/2008/04/a-quick-update.html) saying that, among other improvements, he's in the process of making RSH modular to work better with Ajax libs.

re: plugins and examples tying into existing server frameworks - if you want to include a Perl-based framework on the list I'd be more than happy to contribute my Catalyst (http://www.catalystframework.org/) know-how.

Patrick

soze
21 Apr 2008, 12:59 AM
The road map link doesn't bring up anything. Has the path changed?

brian.moeskau
21 Apr 2008, 1:18 AM
The whole site got revamped, so we just need to add it back in. Will be done soon.

soze
21 Apr 2008, 1:20 AM
Cool. Thanks for the update.

I like the new site btw. Do your classes cover UK onsite as well?

brian.moeskau
21 Apr 2008, 2:18 AM
Do your classes cover UK onsite as well?

Quite possibly. Our team is based in the US, but we're open to traveling overseas so long as the pricing and details can be worked out. If you'd like to request a quote, please send your requirements to [email protected] and someone will follow up with you shortly.

brian.moeskau
24 Apr 2008, 1:09 PM
Road map is back up, sorry for the delay. I've updated the link in the first post.

http://extjs.com/products/extjs/roadmap.php

soze
24 Apr 2008, 2:54 PM
Thanks! Much appreciated. =D>

patspam
24 Apr 2008, 7:19 PM
Thanks for doing that Brian. The first item in the 3.x roadmap looks pretty exciting "Update the Ext event registration model" - does that include some sort of custom event manager that would allow us to build more event-driven applications (eg. decoupled component communication pipelines) along the lines of this (http://yuiblog.com/blog/2008/04/22/caridy-decoupling/)?

brian.moeskau
24 Apr 2008, 10:08 PM
It's possible. We've discussed the "message bus" concept before, so we'll see. 3.0 is still a little ways off. ;)

The primary intent of this bullet item is to change how things are handled to eliminate even the possibility of DOM leaks in Ext code in the future. Currently there are still too many spots that rely on manual event unregistering and cleanup, which still leads to lots of problems reported with IE. We intend to squash all of those issues once and for all.

To be clear, this is not cleaning up any bugs in Ext -- it's refactoring our code specifically to baby sit IE 6 better. 8-|

SeaSharp2
28 Apr 2008, 11:54 AM
> Enhanced Button and Toolbar components

Reading Jack's blog post previewing some V3.0 features it looks like the building blocks of a Ribbon Bar are under development. Will the final V3.0 release include a ribbon bar out of the box or will I have to assemble these and workout how to embed toolbars within an ExtJS tab control?

brian.moeskau
28 Apr 2008, 8:48 PM
I'm not sure if there will be an actual Ext.RibbonBar class per se, but assembling the same functionality from a Toolbar in 3.0 should be pretty easy.

stever
28 Apr 2008, 9:09 PM
There is enough there already to have the look of a ribbon bar. Coding priority levels to decide what should happen when the width of the container gets smaller is a non-trivial task, IMHO. It would be nice if it were standard in Ext, but I understand if it is not.

stever
21 May 2008, 11:23 PM
Road map is back up, sorry for the delay. I've updated the link in the first post.

http://extjs.com/products/extjs/roadmap.php

Is the marshaling that of data only? Or might it be involved with a way to load component classes themselves sort of on-demand like?

I haven't tested the timings, but it occurred to me when I was looking at the Date object stuff in Ext, that there is a lot of initialization going on for components (Just calling Ext.extend() for example) that could be deferred until later. Maybe not wait until the user wants it, but perhaps do init after onload (i.e. after all images and other slow stuff is done). Or maybe the time is trivial and it would be better to look at the dynamic loading angle..

Starfall
29 Jun 2008, 1:41 AM
It seems to me that tri-state checkbox just isn't a way to go.

It's confusing for users.
Even if you desperately need tri-state checkbox, it's easy to be implemented by yourself.

alindsay55661
6 Aug 2008, 7:55 AM
Time to update the roadmap to reflect the 2.2 release. Nice work on getting browser history in early!

fullej
3 Nov 2008, 5:17 PM
Do we have any further clarity around an anticipated release of Ext JS 3.0? I love 2.2, but I have a project that could benefit from the items mentioned in the road map and I am debating holding my project until 3.0 is officially available, but would need to have a little more then just "Early 2009" to make that call (I'm assuming Winter 2008 has already passed us by for a release). Is 2008 off the table, and if we don't yet have a more solid target is it known when we will?

Thanks

baron-
9 Dec 2008, 4:50 PM
I recently started using ExtJS, bought a license, and I'm very happy with everything but extremely shocked at the grid component. The performance is so poor when adding more than 100 records that it's unusable.

Paging is not a solution because a user can't guess on which page a certain range of records appear, and even the LiveGrid, although its a good extension, is not a solution for me, because the scrolling isn't smooth (you can't drag the scrollbar down to a specific location) and the whole approach of requerying for every range of records is not always necessary.

What needs to be done is a redesign of the Grid component so that it only renders the lines that are currently visible. There are at least two other javascript grid components that do this and I am currently looking into using them as a replacement for the Ext JS grid.

So my question is: are there any plans to improve the grid for 3.0?

Also, is early 2009 a reliable release date?

watrboy00
9 Dec 2008, 9:29 PM
I remember reading posts from Jack saying that there were huge improvements to the Grid component and also will be offering a light weight Grid component that has reduce functionality when it is not needed. If you purchased a license you can check it out in the SVN.

Animal
10 Dec 2008, 12:20 AM
I can imagine a better DOM structure than the current GridView.

Modern browsers will handle a tbody with constrained height and overflow: scroll, so that you can use a simple <table> as the main element, have the <thead> element static so that just the <tbody> scrolls, and size the columns by using the colWidth property on the <th> elements.

That will be much faster.

I might have a go at this.

evant
10 Dec 2008, 12:24 AM
Nige, have a look at the ListView class in SVN.

drew
12 Jan 2009, 6:19 PM
Just thought I'd check here for ext 3.0 release info, any idea if it might be only a couple of weeks or more like 1-2 Months away? (even if it's an estimate not a real deadline)

akannu
4 Feb 2009, 10:05 AM
Is there a brief description of ListView class and how it is different from the MultiSelect. Traditionally List and MuliSelect are terms used interchangeably. If I can get a quick description, that would be great. Thanks

mankz
4 Feb 2009, 11:10 AM
Not to rush you Ext devs or anything but now that 3.0 is around the corner: What does the roadmap look like - 3.1 or 4.0? *drool*.

What's on your TODO list? :)

stever
5 Feb 2009, 2:05 PM
Ext 3 is being released April 14th, right?

aconran
6 Feb 2009, 12:14 PM
Just noticed the post above by Baron. There is a BufferedGridView coming for Ext 3.0 which does just what he wants. Only limitation is that you must be content with fixed height rows and a brief flicker as the DOM paints itself.

akannu
6 Feb 2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Aaron,
Is there any additional info on BufferGridView? It will greatly help our planning. Thanks

aconran
7 Feb 2009, 3:28 AM
akannu -

Any specifics that you are looking for? You just use the new GridView to replace the default one.

sekundek
24 Feb 2009, 5:39 AM
I'm looking at Gridview from 3.0 svn but I see no difference in rendering. Still rendering all the records. Am I missing something here.

akannu
12 Mar 2009, 1:09 PM
akannu -

Any specifics that you are looking for? You just use the new GridView to replace the default one.

Hi Aaron,
I saw your response to Baron's comment (i.e. "What needs to be done is a redesign of the Grid component so that it only renders the lines that are currently visible. There are at least two other javascript grid components that do this and I am currently looking into using them as a replacement for the Ext JS grid.)....

I did not understand what he meant by "renders the linkes that are currently visible". I was more interested in how the BufferGridView would work and what it was intended primarily for.