PDA

View Full Version : Processor on 98% after page is loaded

random0xff
22 Nov 2007, 12:31 PM
I'm just now experimenting with Ext 2.0 RC1 and if I include Ext-base and Ext-all and view the page the Firefox will use 98% of the processor for about 2-3 seconds after the page has finished loading.

<script type="text/javascript">
console.time(1);
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/ext-2.0-rc1/adapter/ext/ext-base.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/ext-2.0-rc1/ext-all.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
Ext.onReady(function() {
console.timeEnd(1);
});
</script>

Output in Firebug is usually around 800ms but after that the spike happens and for a few seconds Firefox is not responding. It happens only on Firefox, not Internet Explorer. Is this normal, and can someone give me tips on how to determine where this is happening. I like this framework, but I'm worried about performance...

Thanks!

tryanDLS
22 Nov 2007, 12:58 PM
Disable Firebug to test the performance. Even if you're not actively debugging Firebug has too much overhead to get a realistic idea of how the page loads.

random0xff
22 Nov 2007, 2:58 PM
Yes, that solved it, thanks!

xwisdom
23 Nov 2007, 10:16 AM
Disable Firebug to test the performance. Even if you're not actively debugging Firebug has too much overhead to get a realistic idea of how the page loads.

Can this issue be report to the firebug developers? It would be great to have them fix the issue. I cant think of development without Firebug

tryanDLS
23 Nov 2007, 10:33 AM
Can this issue be report to the firebug developers? It would be great to have them fix the issue. I cant think of development without Firebug

You can go their site and see if anything is being done. It's not necessarily a bug, Firebug just takes a ton of resources to do its thing. This doesn't hinder your development, you just have to disable it when you're trying to gage performance or do demos.